A question about Keys!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
neztopesk
Learning The Ropes
neztopesk is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
A question about Keys!

Whenever I get writers block, I make a lot of MIDIS of Deadmau5 songs, and it has me asking the question, what exactly is a 'Key'? I always thought a key was a group of 7/8 notes that sound good together, no? In two of his songs, '537' and 'Creep2k13', the Mau5 doesn't follow this rule. For example, in '537', which I think is in B major, he hits the 'F' note, which is not in the key, and in 'Creep2k13' he his ALL the sharps, C,F, and B. Music theory-wise, what is going on here?

Sorry if this question is worded kinda badly or seems kinda stupid, but I have no musical background prior to messing around on a DAW for a couple years and am really confused by this.

Advertisements

neztopesk is offline   Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460
Re: A question about Keys!

You can write mostly within a certain key and still hit notes that aren't in that key, these are known as accidentals. It's not overly common in dance music, or many style of pop music for that matter, but you see it a lot in styles of music that focus on more technicality and theory, like jazz. There's sometimes a little more to it than that, and there are lots of reasons to play outside the scale you're working in, but things start to get a little complicated after a certain point. Basically, all this means is that, while it's helpful to keep within a certain key, ultimately, it's about what sounds good in the context of the song, and what properly conveys what you're trying to convey, not about being "in key".

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #3
neztopesk
Learning The Ropes
neztopesk is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thanks for the reply! Do you mind explaining some of the basic reasons behind, 'playing outside the scale you're working in'? Does it effect the mood of the song in a certain way or anything like that?
neztopesk is offline   Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903359
Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,108 Posts

Read the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(particularly rules about starting new threads) familiarise yourself with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
to see if your question has already been discussed.

For example, if you had bothred to scroll even halfway down the first page of the music theory section, you would see a thread titled [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is still active and relevant.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread