What are some chord progressions and scales for
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
cole minor
Minor Glitch
cole minor will become famous soon enoughcole minor will become famous soon enough
Ft Myers FL
MC Status: 110
What are some chord progressions and scales for

What are some basic to medium chord progressions and scales that are used ofted in modern rock and punk rock, things like stoned sour and green day?? The band I'm in his a few sets that I just don't do well on.. And they're punk rock and modern rock.. Also have a hard time playin keys to AC/DC... shyt wasn't designed for a keyboard player.. reguardless, they want me to make it work somehow, so any ideas"??

one Idea I have is to use my elec guitar that sounds sick and put distortion n modulation and make the bends realstic. Then just kinda play the roots in power chords, which on keyboards I believe it's just the first n 5ths.. so like a C power chord would be C G and possibly C G C. Is this correct? if so I could know the progression and just play power chords in a rythmic way.

Anyways, lemme know if you guys know any progressions really common to these types of songs..

Here's an example of shit that confuses me..

K we'll be playing in F Minor Pentatonic which is my favorite lol. Now I use the blues scale actually, it's F G# A# (B) C D# (E) F. I'm using all sharps cuz I dunno how to make a flat sign lol and the ones in parenthasis are the ones that are added to the pentatonic to the pentatonic blues scale. They're just accent notes... anyways.. So we'll be playing and then in the 3rd bar it will switch to some sort of major scale.. and it will then got to these notes instead F "G" G# A# (B) C "C#" D# (E) F. Now again, the parenthasis is the accent notes, and the quotes this time are the new notes added into the scale that seem to change it to some other scale or mode... And I get so confused.. Can anyone by my description, describe what key or mode it switches to in the 3rd bar? I've got to learn this stuff quickly for the band!

I'm building a cheat sheet til I get it all memorized. I'm gonna try and learn all my scales so that I don't have to be transposed into a few keys I know realy well, I'll just be able to hop on even an acoustic piano and still be able to do my thang, with NO Transpose, the way it was supposed to be.. once I learn the songs I won't need the cheat sheet, but it's nice to have something that looks down and says "Transpose to this key" an next to that Original Key of song. Some songs I'm learning identical by ear, some songs I'm learning in my favorite scale with proper progressions and melodies, and then once I have it mastered in my favorite scale, I just need to transpose my keyboard to their guitar..

I'm normally transposing my keyboard with headphones by ear. I got thrown right in the fire with this band, paying gigs n all. They said I'm good enough to wing it til they can get me in to rehearse. I'd like to go in there today a lil ahead of my game. here's how you can really help me.

Ok, the guys are tuned to E I beleive, unless they're a half or whole step down
here's where it gets complicated..

The scale I know like the back of my hand is F Min Blues Pentatonic scale. They're playing a song in E. What would I transpose my keyboard to?

or if they say they're in A, and I need my F Min to match their Amin etc... Sorry I smoke a lot, so if between my inspiration and my lack of sleep, Ive confused you, plz just try to give me the best tips u can by deciphering what I'm trying to say lol..

Last thing, anyone got any tips for a guy in my position? I wanna impress the band that I'm researching and learning and everything, but the best way to impress them is to find my kkey much quicker... I need a key finding formulla..

I think If I'm playing in C Major, I can play in A Minor which is C's Relative Minor. So I could play A Min Pentatonic over C Major and sound good right?

I was told that the relative minor is -3 steps, I've also heard its +6 Steps... Both ways we ended up at the same note I'm pretty sure though that if they say to play in C and I wanna play in f in pentatonicThen I gotta transpose to A Minor if A Minor is actually C Maj'S Minor relative.. If thats the case, then when I hear a song is in C, and that puts it at A Minor, then I have to quickly figure out how to transpose from F to A...4 steps down from A. I think it's as simple as that, memorizing what songs are what key, and then next to the chord proogressions for each song, and key too, leave room on the sheat for the main progression (1 4 5) for instance, and then if every 4 times it changes, mark that down, then know the progression for the chorus, and the same for the progressions for intro, outro and breakdown...Sorry for so much talkin, just got lots of questions. These are for today, i gotta go play soon. thx guys!

Advertisements

cole minor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379
Re: What are some chord progressions and scales for

lol at this post.

Just disclaimer I have played piano for 20+ years, some of that time in rock bands, but as always YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole minor View Post
Then just kinda play the roots in power chords, which on keyboards I believe it's just the first n 5ths.. so like a C power chord would be C G and possibly C G C. Is this correct?
This is standard. 1-5-1 (C G C) in your left hand provides a solid harmonic foundation. You haven't described your band composition but if you have a rhythm guitarist and a bassist may want to rhythmically comp in a higher register (i.e. start at 1 C above middle C). If you don't have a rhythm guitarist it might be OK to start at middle C or even 1 C below middle C. Obviously not hearing your band this is kind of just speculation.

TLDR If you jam too hard on your chords in the same register as a rhythm guitar it can sound muddy

Quote:
F "G" G# A# (B) C "C#" D# (E) F. Now again, the parenthasis is the accent notes, and the quotes this time are the new notes added into the scale that seem to change it to some other scale or mode... And I get so confused.. Can anyone by my description, describe what key or mode it switches to in the 3rd bar?
F minor (F minor natural if you want to nitpick)
The B and E don't really fit in the F minor scale but those notes may still work depending on what everyone else is still playing.

Quote:
The scale I know like the back of my hand is F Min Blues Pentatonic scale. They're playing a song in E. What would I transpose my keyboard to?
If you have a transpose button just go down 1 half step or 1 "down" button, you'll be in E. (your "F" will sound like an "E")
If you want to actually "transpose" then an E Min Blues Pentatonic is
E G A B D
The way you're writing it:
E G A (A#) B D (D#) E

Quote:
or if they say they're in A, and I need my F Min to match their Amin etc...
Go to your keyboard
count the number of notes from an F to an A

F F# G G# A
F# - 1
G - 2
G# - 3
A - 4
A is 4 half steps up from F
Transpose button goes up 4

You can actually do this for every single note, if you don't want to use the transpose button.

F G# A# (B) C D# (E) F
F - go up 4 half steps, A
G# - go up 4 half steps, C
A# - go up 4 half steps, etc.

Quote:
Last thing, anyone got any tips for a guy in my position?
Keep practicing. Getting paid gigs is nice. Knowing scales is really just about muscle memory... knowing what scale fits with what someone else is playing is usually just a matter of repetition, especially in rock music

Quote:
Sorry I smoke a lot, so if between my inspiration and my lack of sleep, Ive confused you, plz just try to give me the best tips u can by deciphering what I'm trying to say lol..
Lay off it when learning the fundamentals. Creativity/focus usually tradeoff... in my experience. That being said if you are just practicing mundane scales over and over, it might not be that bad.

Quote:
I think If I'm playing in C Major, I can play in A Minor which is C's Relative Minor. So I could play A Min Pentatonic over C Major and sound good right?
A minor pentatonic (A C D E G)
is the same as C major pentatonic (C D E G A)
So yes it will probably sound "good"

Quote:
If thats the case, then when I hear a song is in C, and that puts it at A Minor, then I have to quickly figure out how to transpose from F to A...4 steps down from A.
This is a good way to theoretically start.

Last edited by frajen; 07-05-2014 at 04:53 PM..

------------------
Website
Soundcloud

Piano improvisations:
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993330
Thanked 4,062 Times in 2,634 Posts
Re: What are some chord progressions and scales for

wow.

ok first of all, there isn't going to be any formula and tricks. Right now it only looks like you just picked up your piano and have only taught yourself some confusing bits of music theory and piano technique.
If you need it to be fast, I would definitely recommend taking piano classes because right now everything would need to be explained from the start and this is way too much to ask on a forum.
Or use google and look for the information you need, try and make sense out of it. Wiki some key words such as scale, key, tonality, cadence.

Quote:
have a hard time playin keys to AC/DC... shyt wasn't designed for a keyboard player.. reguardless, they want me to make it work somehow, so any ideas"??

Then just kinda play the roots in power chords, which on keyboards I believe it's just the first n 5ths.. so like a C power chord would be C G and possibly C G C. Is this correct? if so I could know the progression and just play power chords in a rythmic way.
yes a power chord is the root and its fifth. C G. You can take double them an octave higher, it wouldn't change anything about the notes you're playing. So, yeah, C G C is the same thing.

There are people doing covers of rock songs on a piano on Youtube. You could check out these videos and observe what they do.

A quick idea I have is maybe you could follow the bassline with your left hand and the chords with the right hand. Since there's already a bass and a guitar playing these, you wouldn't add much but that's a start.

Quote:
Here's an example of shit that confuses me..

K we'll be playing in F Minor Pentatonic Now I use the blues scale actually, it's F G# A# (B) C D# (E) F.
So we'll be playing and then in the 3rd bar it will switch to some sort of major scale.. and it will then got to these notes instead F "G" G# A# (B) C "C#" D# (E) F.
Now again, the parenthasis is the accent notes, and the quotes this time are the new notes added into the scale that seem to change it to some other scale or mode...
The two notes that are added to your pentatonic scale are only the two "missing" notes from the minor scale.
The minor pentatonic scale is fundamental - minor third - perfect fourth - perfect fifth and minor seventh.
The minor scale has seven notes and they are : fundamental - major second - minor third - perfect fourth - perfect fifth - minor sixth and minor seventh.
in F : F G Ab Bb C Db Eb

Quote:

or if they say they're in A, and I need my F Min to match their Amin etc...
just learn your scales, man.

Seriously, I was going to answer some more of this but you got some chores to do, that's all. Everything can't be explained in a post, go look for information yourself or take lessons if you don't like the self-teaching stuff

Advertisements

Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote