Freeware DAW VST Host
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848
Freeware DAW VST Host

Hello,

I am currently looking for recommendations on a freeware DAW. I need to do some sound design at my work, away from my home studio. I have tried mu-lab, and I really really hate it lol. Very poor software.

I actually don't require much at all from this daw, so the simpler the better. I just need to have one instance of a VST synth, with 2 or 3 VST effects chained behind it, then be able to sequence a short midi clip.

If anyone has a recommendation I would be stoked to hear it. Thanks

Advertisements

------------------
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts
Re: Freeware DAW VST Host

Reaper.
Zynewave Podium Free.

Also try the forum search, even though it's not as good as Google.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924

IL Minihost would be my choice in this scenario.
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mr.Qaobab
Ap0C552 (27-09-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175210
Thanked 3,504 Times in 2,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0C552 View Post
Hello,

I am currently looking for recommendations on a freeware DAW. I need to do some sound design at my work, away from my home studio. I have tried mu-lab, and I really really hate it lol. Very poor software.

I actually don't require much at all from this daw, so the simpler the better. I just need to have one instance of a VST synth, with 2 or 3 VST effects chained behind it, then be able to sequence a short midi clip.

If anyone has a recommendation I would be stoked to hear it. Thanks
To each their own and all that..but I think saying MuLab is very poor software is more than a bit unfair..give reasons why. I know you said you hate it..but was that just a personal taste or workflow thing..or was it something else?

I've been using MuLab now for few years and I personally find it to be the best DAW I've worked with..but that's just my own personal taste thing and I know that. But still, it's a really solid DAW..it just depends how deep you dig into it. Granted, the UI gives the impression it's simplistic..but it's really misleading.

Don't get me wrong..I'm not jumping on ya over what you said..just honestly interested as to what it is that makes you hate it so much.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg

I guess mulab is poor for my current needs. I found it unintuitive....but that can vary drastically from user to user. I had a lot of problems exporting with mulab. I guess I should just say my personal experience with it was poor.

Quote:
Reaper.
Reaper is really good, but it is not free. It has an unlimited trial, but they state you must purchase a license after 60 days. I could just ignore that and use it, but because I am using it at work for a commercial software product, I want to remain 100% legit and legal. I could just ask my company to buy a license, but I am sure the penny pinchers would just say "just work with the sounds we have" (we are porting/improving an existing software application).

I discovered presonus studio one which has a free version. I am going to give it a go monday and I will post back here with my thoughts.

------------------
Thanks to Ap0C552
A.M (27-09-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Grids/Units/Planes
IDMf Artist
Grids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 11174

If you are open to putting some effort into learning how to use it, 'Buzz' is amazing and very, very powerful.
For a simpler software in the same vein (psycle) is also good.

Both of these are freeware trackers so you would need to google and learn a bit about trackers to use them.

------------------
Grids/Units/Planes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 02:20 AM   #7
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Winnipeg

IL Minihost looks perfect for what I am doing!

EDIT: I have tried it out and it is perfect. Nice small little host. Only problem is it doesn't record audio. I am guessing I have to wire it up to another program....so now I need to find that program lol.

Turns out my presonus audiobox usb doesn't have a way to record what I hear, so to use il minihost I would need another freeware daw to wire it to, so I am in the same problem lol.

EDIT: Here is the best one I found. It is really good, and it simply works! [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Ap0C552; 27-09-2014 at 04:57 PM..

------------------
Old 27-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924

Just use a vst sound recorder like: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote