please explain compression of bass theory...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
please explain compression of bass theory...

I don't get why I would want to compress a soft synth bass sound. Lets say I make an 808 sounding sub bass with a strong pitch envelope on the decay. Why would I want to add a compressor exactly?

You can see in this tutorial

at about 5:00. he adds the compressor. Im really curious what the goal is here.

also as a side question: If I saturate or use tape distortion does that basically take care of it?

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: please explain compression of bass theory...

I haven't watched the video but one reason would be that a f2 and an f3 will be different in volume. Compressing will level out the f2 which will be lower in volume than f3.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex
MC Status: 3410

using a compressor will even out the volume of your bassline.

for example > your bassline is using say, keys C1 and A1..

(i dont know the exact freq to note relationship off my head, but).. say C1 is hitting 80hz @ -9db, A1 might be hitting 100hz but peaking @ -12db..

a compressor will even out the level difference between the two and when used with EQ > helps to make space for other sounds in the mix..

as for the tape saturation > you can use that anywhere in the fx/ insert chain.. ie: before or after the compressor.

edit > like RfJ said, but in a roundabout way

hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by RUncELL; 20-02-2014 at 10:21 AM..
RUncELL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

You was right in the 1st place.there is zero point to it any volume fluctuations that people hear on say a sine wave as it hits different notes is either because the sinewave goes out of phase when combined with other sounds e.g a synth with free running oscillators or, it's their room

if anything you actually want to be playing round with the volume/velocities/dynamics of each note as flat subs sound absolutely sterile and unexciting on a 3 way system (2 "satellite speakers" and a sub or 3 way driver speakers)

Even knife parties subs are pretty dynamic.can't say the same for the top end though

in relation to sounds with sub harmonics though like a low saw etc it can sometimes aid in flattening their dynamics a bit especially if they fluctuate in phase alot e.g again free running oscillators but i'd swerve it when it comes to subs and other less harmonically complex sounds,retriggered oscillators

Just watched the vid,in relation to what he is using it for it makes zero sense.it's a feckin sub there is no high frequencies to attenuate.if it sounds too high when you stick your other elements over the top then it's the arrangement or the key you are in,compressing and eq'ing subs is complete and utter fail...................

TIMT

Last edited by TIMT; 20-02-2014 at 09:25 PM..
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942631
Thanked 5,689 Times in 3,584 Posts

You want the lower frequencies to be consistent. Even after compression it's common to put a limiter on it too. I know, slap a limiter on it right? But in this case it works.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; Perhaps I'm misreading your post but are you saying there's no difference in amplititude between a c3 sine and a c1 sine, and any difference heard is merely the result of the room or phase cancelation?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Maybe he just want some transient/click (and keep the "body" of the bass in control). That's why he adds some attack time

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; Perhaps I'm misreading your post but are you saying there's no difference in amplititude between a c3 sine and a c1 sine, and any difference heard is merely the result of the room or phase cancelation?
If you mean in actual amplitude then no there is no difference between a c1 and c3 but i think what you are referring to is how we perceive the volume difference between c1 and c3. in terms of peaks they both have the same volume but yes we do perceive one of them as louder.regardless, compressing subs to "even out their volume..."horses for courses i suppose.i do change the velocities but i've never found a need to compress a sub in or other non-rich harmonic sound

Advertisements

TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TIMT
RFJ (20-02-2014)