Advice on university dissertation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 16-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
alex2992
Learning The Ropes
alex2992 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Advice on university dissertation

Hey everyone ! I'm a third year student studying Music Technology and I'm having trouble finding a title for my dissertation. I'm mostly interested in recording and live sound as I enjoy working as a live sound engineer but I am having problems deciding what my dissertation title should be. My project has to research something and I'm not sure what to do. It could be anything like determining appropriate recording techniques for a specific thing or the evolution of recording techniques in a specific genre, things like that. I would really appreciate some help with this as my proposal deadline isn't that far away.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys !

Alex

Advertisements

alex2992 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
laser
Microknight
laser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010
Re: Advice on university dissertation

I believe you should come up with it by yourself.
laser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to laser
fidelium (18-10-2013)
Old 17-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

I did 3 MA dissertations and the title was always added at the very end of the process when I knew how to best describe what was in it. You will find a good one eventually, don't sweat it, content is way more important.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
alex2992
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
I did 3 MA dissertations and the title was always added at the very end of the process when I knew how to best describe what was in it. You will find a good one eventually, don't sweat it, content is way more important.
I am supposed to hand in my proposal with the title in 2 weeks. I usually do the content and then the find the right title but they want it now. Giving a title to what I'm doing isn't hard, it's just that I can't really figure out what I could do because it has to research something. It can't be just recording a live band and describing the process. The project needs to have a goal.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex
MC Status: 3410

song structure.. mic placement.. impulse response's.. engineers that use studio as instrument.. sampling in music.. history of recording booths..

RUncELL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
alex2992
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUncELL View Post
song structure.. mic placement.. impulse response's.. engineers that use studio as instrument.. sampling in music.. history of recording booths..

Those are all interesting subjects but I can't find a question that has some research grounds to it. (The question being the title for the dissertation) I am thinking about something along the lines of The evolution of recording techniques with emphasis on rock or jazz music.
Old 19-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex

Sorry man, jus firing off what comes to mind..
Sounds like your there - evolution of rec techniques in jazz or rock..
..i take it you know your stuff about rock an jazz.

my title would be- eLectronic evolution in the recording studio.

gOOd LUCk anyway man..

Last edited by RUncELL; 19-10-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Old 19-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181360
Thanked 3,627 Times in 2,703 Posts

"The influences of forums such as IDMF and the role they play in the recording process of today's IDM artists." - ..a sure winner if ever I saw one!

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
RFJ (19-10-2013)
Old 19-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
"The influences of forums such as IDMF and the role they play in the recording process of today's IDM artists." - ..a sure winner if ever I saw one!
I think this idea is solid as nd has merit.

How you would test it I'm not sure but it's your dissertation so I'm sure you'll figure out a way.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Lulz third year student writing a dissertation?
Don't you mean like... a 2 page essay?
Choose something easy, its good for your GPA and nothing you do research-wise as an undergrad will contribute to the wider world of music anyways.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
Lulz third year student writing a dissertation?
Don't you mean like... a 2 page essay?
Choose something easy, its good for your GPA and nothing you do research-wise as an undergrad will contribute to the wider world of music anyways.
Look at the little flag under his avater. 3rd year dissertations are pretty standard. OP, it's true you probably won't contribute anything much to research, but don't let that stop you doing something you find interesting.

Is it specified what kind of research you should be doing? I ask because my brother did his dissertation on the evolution and influence of the studio as an instrument, with a particular focus on Brian Eno - if you're allowed to research historical aspects of music tech, it's simpler than setting out to research something in the scientific sense (I think anyway!)

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
RUncELL
Soundscaper
Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
I'd be happy to go with that..
Thanks to RUncELL
A.M (21-10-2013)
Old 21-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Xenon
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

I'm kind of surprised that after three years of studying music technology that you wouldn't know what to choose;some shortcoming or new technologies etc... Long before I got my dissertation task I had a shitload of topics I'd have liked to investigate(note: I don't study music tech..). Here are my ideas for you anyway.

Since you're interested in live sound engineering, how about investigating the acoustic reaction of old buildings(like churches, school halls and theaters) to typical modern PA systems setups...? I do the mixing at my church and those old buildings were designed for projecting voice without any speakers, or very tiny speakers, so to get the perfect sound all over the hall is nearly impossible in some of those buildings.

To narrow the field a bit, you could choose buildings from a certain era with a certain architectural style and investigate all kinds of stuff like reverberation and frequency 'response' etc. I don't know how much time you have for it, I think I'd be able to fit it in a semester? Your title could be: Investigating the acoustic response of old architecture to modern PA systems. Or something in that line.

Advertisements

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote