Read and get Inspired
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 572
MC Status: 4310
Thanks: 32
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Read and get Inspired

http://www.youredm.com/2014/04/03/ed...llphace-story/


I know some of you here maybe still struggling in life/music or just this close to giving up. If you're one of them read this but really, this should be read by everyone who is trying to chase their dream.


Quote:
The Trollphace Story:

If you know me you had to know that this big ass post was inevitableÖ So grab a beer, pack your bong, clean your glasses and get ready for a feel trip.

This past week at WMC was the most surreal intense single experience of my life. There are hours of stories but what I think is important is how I transformed not only as a musician, but more so how Iíve transformed into a different person. What Iíve realized and come to terms with are revelations I may or may not have deserved, but I would like to share it with you.

I would be lying if I said there wasnít a single moment of time in my life where I didnít jump on the Skrillex hater bandwagon. Iím man enough to admit that I was dead wrong about not only Sonny, but just about every major person in this industry. I used to listen to his music and even play out, but like a fucking coward I let the negativity and insecurities of the people around me morph me into a very bitter and jaded person. Who else can raise their hand and say they are a jealous hater because it was the ďcoolĒ thing to do. I know a lot of you could.

Itís with deep regret and a heavy heart that I have to be real and say that was me. I know now that was my own insecurities being projected onto a man that did not deserve it, and it wasnít just him.

Sonny and his very NOBLE family at OWSLA have done way way way more than grabbed me from the pits of Hell I was sitting at, they gave me a whole new lease on life.

Unknown to most of you my journey here was not easy. I starved for years, I wrote songs in my car while I was homeless. Iíve been back stabbed and Iíve beefed with people that tried desperately to snuff me out because of pure jealousy and the occasional misunderstanding, and it breaks my heart to say that if they had just worked as hard on themselves as people and their project, they would be leaps and bounds beyond me because Iím nothing special. And Iím just as foolish as I am ďextraordinaryĒ.

I have a pretty cliche sob story full of years of struggle and being alone. I too like most of you started at 1 Like and no followers. And while many say Iím lucky this stuff is happening for me, I disagree. Because the luck is being pointed in the wrong direction. I was lucky to have the support of every single person that was here before I was recognize for what I do. Without that rock and with out you guys, I would have never been able to over come the cards that life has dealt out for me. And thatís where Iím lucky.

Like most people I come from a broken home, an addict cheating lying coward of a ďfatherĒ, and like most was bullied my whole life for being different. Iíve been the victim of unreal circumstances and even have a condition that should have me on disability but none of that matters because I found my place after 25 years of being a black sheep and alone. And that place is here.

The support this scene has shown me has pushed me to reach for the stars and over come adversity, as well as become a person I can be proud to look into a mirror and stare at.

So that being said I want to inspire you to over come your own demons. I want you to take life by the balls and really go for it. You wanna be a doctor? Lawyer? Rock star? World Champion underwater basket weaver? Then get off your ass and do it, and donít ever ever ever stop. No matter how poor, no matter how tired, no matter how impossible it seems, if you put your time in you will reap the benefits even if your family sits there trying to tell you not too. Iíve said it before, doubt will kill more dreams than failure ever will. If time is money, and you are investing in what you believe in, remember that you will always get what pay for.

This time 2 years ago, I had no job, no money, the girl of my dreams dipped and I had a gun in my mouth. And with the kind words, support, and interaction with my fans, people in this community, and artists Ė I put the gun down and decided to see how far I could take the last thing I had to live for and see how far I could take it. I never wanted money, or fame. I just wanted to help people work through their own misery with my music. Think of is as like a hug from me to you via audio.

And all that crap I went through did make me jaded, but Sonny and his family pulled me out of that rut and made me realize that all the trials and tribulations Iíve been through with my life did nothing but prepare me to actually appreciate and be humble and grateful for what Iíve been able to do and to live a life that most arenít fortunate to be able too.

This last week with that crew was full of hugs, goose bumps, tears and happiness and I will never forget it. So I encourage you to set out for yourself and make your dreams become a reality because take my word for it, you definitely can. I donít know wtf music theory really is, I suck at mix downs and I canít really write a melody off the top of my head, but goddammit I know how to make noises and I used that and did the best I could, which I all anyone could ask of me, or you could ask of yourself.

Iím proud of the sound the people around me were gracious enough to let me jump in and be a part of. And Iím proud to say that we accomplished something grand together.

Fuck me and what this new world thatís opened up for me is gonna do for meÖ Let this be a breath of fresh air for everyone thatís aspiring to become something they want to be. Every up and comer out there no matter what industry should see now that if they have a dream it doesnít have to be brought down because of how impossible it seems.

But the greatest part for me about all this, is after all that time being unaccepted by most, I was able to be myself, and Iíll never forget the moment Sonny looked me in the eyes and said ďAlways do you, no matter who likes it. Donít change you, donít change your sound.Ē

Ever wonder what kinda people those big guys up there are? They are the kinda people that even tho they didnít need to, were always making sure I was sorted an taken care of. I learned so much itís overwhelming and felt like I was a part of something revolutionary.

Iím pretty sure the look on my face on that stage says it all as everything I just told you Iíve been through just sorta lifted off my chest and I soaked in what I was working for but never expected. And I hope that my story can help you make it through your story as well, because as I said, you can do it.

I love each and every one of you. Iíll never forget where I come from and I will never stop being real with you, because along with Sonny and OWSLA, you all have changed my life and I hope to return the favor.

My name is Damon, and it was a pleasure getting this far with those of you who have tirelessly helped me make it happen, now letís see what else we can do together, because Iím not in this alone. Ė Damon Orienti

Advertisements


------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
TheIlladelph's Avatar
Boulder, CO
Age: 28
Posts: 393
MC Status: 236874
Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

I read this a few days ago. It proves how much of an amazing person skrillex is.

------------------
TheIlladelph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
The Snakes of Eden
The Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MC
The Snakes of Eden's Avatar
Posts: 101
MC Status: 173418
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

quite a nice (and timely ) thing to read

------------------
The Snakes of Eden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Focalized's Avatar
Space Base
Posts: 2,646
MC Status: 10378667
Thanks: 14
Thanked 350 Times in 277 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

That read gave me a fucking headache.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 17,805
MC Status: 8564580
Thanks: 11,305
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

I'm lost, so basically Skrillex saved Trollphace's life because he put out some of this dude's music?

Sorry, legit question... I scanned the story and the article and couldn't really find all the details.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
Mctoast's Avatar
Posts: 1,038
MC Status: 38947
Thanks: 13
Thanked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
That read gave me a fucking headache.
Can't word it any better.
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
PROton42's Avatar
Posts: 10,278
MC Status: 34650
Thanks: 7,928
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

I saw the word "Trollphace" and vomit all over my monitor, rendering me unable to read this post. ):

Besides, everyone here already knows that Phlange Phace is superior.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 572
MC Status: 4310
Thanks: 32
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm lost, so basically Skrillex saved Trollphace's life because he put out some of this dude's music?

Sorry, legit question... I scanned the story and the article and couldn't really find all the details.
No... I'm not sure how it was hard to understand (not insulting you) but he grabbed a person up who fell on the ground and was on the verge of giving up his dreams and his own life.

Skrillex changed his perception of life and his own life and because of that he became a better person. Or became more of a positive person. As oppose to being the dick or the jealous type of person that he was and pointing fingers who were "bigger" than him within the scene.

I'm not gonna lie in the beginning of my musical adventure I kept saying " Oh this shit sounds easy I can do this, what makes him/her better?" All I ever did was being the guy who thinks he knows it all but doesn't know in the end. At some point it made me realize that with attitude like that I was NOT progressing in music at all. In fact I was in one of my worst state when it comes to being a producer.

Attitude plays a big part in anything especially when you are trying to accomplish your dreams. That and work ethics. And I give respect to anyone who's outdone themselves to the point where they've done something that they have passion in. Regardless of the genre.

It's the dream that counts.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
RFJ's Avatar
I live in California.
Age: 39
Posts: 13,083
MC Status: 199648418
Thanks: 4,809
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

Does it make Skrillex' music any better though?

I'm sure John Secada is a hell of a guy too but...

And who's Trollface?

Edit: oops...Trollphace, as it were.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
PROton42 (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 572
MC Status: 4310
Thanks: 32
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

This has nothing to do with skrillex's music.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neyus
PROton42 (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
PROton42's Avatar
Posts: 10,278
MC Status: 34650
Thanks: 7,928
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Does it make Skrillex' music any better though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
This has nothing to do with skrillex's music.
Both valid points.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
lolirl's Avatar
Posts: 14,234
MC Status: 744043441
Thanks: 11,076
Thanked 7,520 Times in 4,651 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

So the moral of the story is that well known musicians should pander to trolls?

sean pls
:problemofficer:
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
RFJ's Avatar
I live in California.
Age: 39
Posts: 13,083
MC Status: 199648418
Thanks: 4,809
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts
Re: Read and get Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
This has nothing to do with skrillex's music.
It does have to do with his music though because (as evidenced by the writing) people assume that Skrillex "haters" hate on him for reasons other than his music and what he has brought to the "scene" when in actuality it has nothing to do with anything but that.

For me at least.

Advertisements


------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Read this before you want to be famous neyus Music Scene Chat 74 20-06-2014 07:19 AM
Hi come read up, or ask a question FaclessBizz Introduce Yourself 1 20-10-2013 12:40 AM
Hello everyone, don't read this Roberto Vega B. Introduce Yourself 4 06-08-2013 12:18 AM
This could be the best news I've ever read Marklar The Side Room 9 07-09-2011 02:13 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.