Promoting upcoming Bandcamp release
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 22-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts
Promoting upcoming Bandcamp release

So, I'm in the process of putting together my first "self-release" via Bandcamp, no label involvement. This is an experiment.

I'm curious if I can crowdsource some more ideas for promo that won't make this come off as an amateur release, so... any ideas are more than welcome.

At this point this is where I am at:

Masters uploaded to Bandcamp on a still unpublished site.

Graphic Design will be finished this evening, as well as an updated banner to reflect the new release.

as soon as Design is updated:

I'll be emailing download codes for the blogs/websites that have reviewed my material in the past, as well as local print media for advance listen/review.

Shortly after I'll be email blasting the my collected email list from prior downloads/purchases on BC, this will coincide with a FB push from my artist page with graphic design and the release date announcement.

:edit: has anyone messed with "promoted posts" on FB? i hate to give them cash but if anyone has found it successful it might be worth the cash

Considering a one month ad with a website that acts as a hub for the "scene" i am loosely associated with.

thoughts? anything obvious i am overlooking here?

what else would YOU do???

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts
Re: Promoting upcoming Bandcamp release

I would e-mail the blogs a proper press kit not just d/l codes.

Kit should include a .zip of:

The record (obviously)
The cover artwork front / back
The banner
A .PDF or .Jpeg of the blurb with a smaller version of the cover at the top and a link to your band camp in there somewhere.

This is what I've done in the past with blogs and have had a fair amount of success.

I don't know what it is but getting an e-mail with the files seems to me more professional than just sending over a code. Maybe not though as I realize both methods include the same thing.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

A promovideo might be cool. It's easy for fans to check out and blogs can post it on their site too.

You could pick a track you want to promote your release with and stick it on a video with your artwork and some animations. Just make sure it doesn't look too amateurish.

If you have some synths/instruments you could also put those in the video to make it more interesting.
In my case I would definitely make a video where I play bass along one of the tracks, I think it's a lot more interesting and engaging to see someone do something than to hear music with just a static picture. People will also often change tabs when the video isn't that interesting and thus your promo moves to the background.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
chasedobson (22-02-2014)
Old 22-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

@RFJ thanks for your input, I will keep this in mind.

Email to reviewers is happening this evening.

My fiance is a graphic designer and we are collaborating on the email/art/everything. It'll include artwork, banner, release date and either a link for a .zip of the record.

------------------
Old 22-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
A promovideo might be cool. It's easy for fans to check out and blogs can post it on their site too.

You could pick a track you want to promote your release with and stick it on a video with your artwork and some animations. Just make sure it doesn't look too amateurish.

If you have some synths/instruments you could also put those in the video to make it more interesting.
In my case I would definitely make a video where I play bass along one of the tracks, I think it's a lot more interesting and engaging to see someone do something than to hear music with just a static picture. People will also often change tabs when the video isn't that interesting and thus your promo moves to the background.

I have a rough cut of a video a homie is making for me, if i do this at all it will be more of a preview video, some ambience and washy images followed by the cover art and release date announcement.

------------------
Old 22-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

thanks for the quick replies fellas.

------------------
Old 22-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Also...

Relic and I have a blog that we were considering reviewing releases on in addition to the project we run. If you're interested I love taking a crack at reviewing it. Won't get you much exposure outside of IDMf really at this point but if you're interested I believe you have my e-mail yes?

Blog:
www.altered-echo.com

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

copy that, I'll add you to the list. thank's sir.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
RFJ (22-02-2014)
Old 22-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

I've done the "promoted posts" thing on Facebook a couple times. It can be useful for getting info out to some more people, but it's limited in it's own way, and it can be "overused" I think.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
chasedobson (22-02-2014)
Old 22-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

i guess the question is, is the 30 bucks better spent on an ad at Igloomag or FB promoted posts????

------------------
Old 23-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
i guess the question is, is the 30 bucks better spent on an ad at Igloomag or FB promoted posts????
Hard to say, with an ad like that, most people are just going to pass it by, but it does open the opportunity to attract new fans. With a promoted post, you're getting the attention of people who are already interested in what you're doing, but then again, a bunch are probably going to just 'like" it and not look too much into it.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043441
Thanked 7,520 Times in 4,651 Posts

Do Igloo mag still play that stuff on their Digital Nimbus show?
Years ago my friend sent some of our music off to Igloo and they didn't review it at all.
They did however play it on their radio station between MeatBeat Manifesto and Apparat and then make it freely downloadable as part of their podcast/show.
I had mixed feelings at the time about it tbh but now I'm a huge internet sensation of course.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

they do. you can tune in online.

I've had some luck with Tympanik submitting stuff for review, as well a self-released endeavour at igloomag.

------------------
Old 23-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

Totally looking forward to this, Chase.

I'd run around reddit and post a few things. Maybe start with the old releases building up to this one. I also keep a list of tumblrs, blogs and forums that may be receptive to an ad post or would be willing to review. blog-wise, violent-playground, IDMf, electro-music, muffs, gearslutz, etc. come to mind, even though some may not be applicable (muff's, but all the others would probably be a good fit for your work if it's any similar to your previous releases).

You need to send stuff to Headphone Commute. Mention your previous work was on Tympanik, they love Tympanik (r.roo, and dirk geiger's stuff make headlines over there often), and they're great promo.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
chasedobson (23-02-2014)
Old 24-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

looks as though HC only accepts suggestions, not submissions for review.

Advertisements

------------------