Best blog platform for my needs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 25-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol
MC Status: 1010
Best blog platform for my needs

Good day good people, hoping you can help.

I have a new music orientated venture that I'm planning as we speak and just need a bit of advice from those of you in the know

Essentially I need a simple website for blogging purposes, that must be able to link to a clothing store (big cartel) - including showing specific items on page, be able to sign people up to a mailing list / competition sign up. Obviously I also want to include obvious links to social media channels and easy sharing of each blog post, but that's fairly standard so not a concern.

I was going to start a tumblr page, but from what I've been seeing since starting looking at a lot of them, could be more of a social media channel itself rather than a good place to link together a number of elements. Therefore is Wordpress a slightly more complicated, but better suited route? Tumblr does look ridiculously easy to maintain and navigate, which is a big plus for me I have to admit.

It appears that all tumblr pages must have that in the web address, where as with wordpress I can use a domain i purchase?

Total website / blog newbie so any help much appreciated indeed.

Cheers guys

Advertisements

------------------
Mr. 50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts
Re: Best blog platform for my needs

wordpress is probably the less complicated web 2.0 platform I have ever used, I prefer Joomla but AFAIK there isnt anyone running a free, easy blog version of it...the only thing I am not sure about on Wordpress is the mailing list, but you can link to anything you want... I wouldnt be surprised if Wordpress had an easy mailing list feature....that is such a basic thing these days.

i thought tumblr was more of a picture oriented thing...

honestly not trying to spam our project, but if you click the banner in my signature (huge and really fucking blue, cant miss it) that is an example of a wordpress site "built" by two guys that know next to nothing about web programming. We purposefully kept the color scheme and text simple.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

^your banner is not clickable FYI

tumblr pages do not need to have tumblr in the address there are plenty of blogs that have standalone URLs

the thing about tumblr is that they have their themes and they have a little follow button at the top, other than that its all customizeable with HTML. the themes are usually just kinda like stylesheets, they define how a text or picture or etc post looks.

so if you wanted, on your blog page you could have a section for the posts and a section for other stuff, a box to submit an email address would probably be pretty easy. i've also seen themes that have comments built into the theme rather than into the tumblr system, since the tumblr system is a bit weird in that you have to follow someone for 2 weeks, have asks enabled with a "?" on each post, or reblog a post to comment on it. the themes have the simple comment systems without login stuff where you just type a username, i think.

tumblr is the biggest blogging site AFAIK so its something you might want to consider. i was mostly describing how non tumblr users would still be able to use your page, if you find a niche within tumblr you could really gain popularity within the communities of the site.

if you can somehow get a bit of HTML that would work for grabbing email addresses and stick it into a theme (which shouldn't be too hard),i would really recommend tumblr.
crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to crackmontage
relic (25-02-2014)
Old 25-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

another thing worth mentioning, giveaways and contests are pretty popular with tumblr, but here's how most people do it:
make a post that announces the contest, with rules etc (which may include that they have to be following you) and in order to enter, the user reblogs the post. then at the end you use a random number generator and find that number on the notes E G 251 would make the 251st person to reblog the post a winner.

this is great for promotion because it forces users to promote your contest if they want to enter. if you think that will make people not want to enter, you'd be surprised. but the problem would be finding a way for it to work with people off tumblr too, if they didn't want to sign up.
crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol
MC Status: 1010

OK great, tumblr could be fine then

------------------
Mr. 50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

A really nice example of tumblr: http://amatorski.be/ (a local band)

They have put some useful links on top (sounds, tour, etc) and when you scroll down you get to the blog itself. It looks nice and it's easy to use.
Also notice they are able to use a personal url on top of http://amatorski.tumblr.com/

The only drawback is there seems to be less communication with fans, people can't comment on pictures (as on facebook for instance) and overall people don't seem to interact directly. I also don't know how many non-tumblr people see all the new posts.

A cool feature to organize stuff is tagging: you can put tags on every post. This is useful for getting found, if people search 'studio' for instance all the pictures/posts will pop up which are tagged with 'studio'. But you can also use it to organize yourself: you could for instance tag all posts with music in with #music and put a link somewhere to show only those posts.
Example: http://amatorski.tumblr.com/tagged/studio

Advertisements

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote