Distribution
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 21-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Braindouche!
Minor Glitch
Braindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MC
Buffalo, NY
MC Status: 10009
Distribution

The context here is that I've been producing ambient and experimental music for 6 years now, and podcasting the lot of it. I also have one album out on Magnatune.

A couple of weeks ago, the cluster on my server where my podcast lived got severely hacked, so I was forced to blitz everything. I rebuilt the critical sites, but I've left the podcast down. I've wanted to redo the site for years, and this is an opportunity for a completely fresh reboot of my adventure in online self-publishing, right?

So here's the thing: I'm not convinced that podcasting is the right thing to do anymore. Podcasting is a producer-forward medium, meaning you'll find me long before you find the music. And the music is the point, it's what's supposed to be out front.

So my question is, what do I do about distribution? I've been consistently skeptical about 3rd-party music network thingies, because the model is "post the music, then drive traffic to your profile", and since I'm a web developer by trade, it's no different than posting the music and driving the traffic to my own site, except I get to control the whole damn thing. But the internet is constantly doing new and interesting stuff, and I believe I have hit the limit of what I can do by myself.

So here's the question: can you brilliant people suggest what I can do with my music? I want to go where people are actually listening to drone and atmospheric ambient and minimalism, not just try to fit in with the cool kids over in beatport who are producing half-speed house and calling it chillout. I want to be browseable, I want to be discoverable, and I'd like the opportunity to be heard.

What say you guys? Anything?

Advertisements

------------------
Braindouche! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Braindouche!
Minor Glitch
Braindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MCBraindouche! is a savage MC
Buffalo, NY
MC Status: 10009
Re: Distribution

PS: based on my research, very very few musicians decide to podcast their own original music. It's incredibly rare, and never seems to have caught on with that group.

------------------
Braindouche! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
plus3
Granular Poster
plus3 has a spectacular aura aboutplus3 has a spectacular aura about
Baltimore, MD
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindouche! View Post
I want to go where people are actually listening to drone and atmospheric ambient and minimalism... I want to be browseable, I want to be discoverable, and I'd like the opportunity to be heard.
I want what you want.
plus3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
spidergod
spidergod has a spectacular aura aboutspidergod has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 175

Must admit this is the most difficult part I am coming up against.
Soundcloud groups can help, also Ambient Hub on facebook is a good group.
I would rather produce the music and get someone else to promote it, but cannot afford to do that at present.

Advertisements

spidergod is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote