Any tips on mixing minimal techno?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 20-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Reedswitch
Analog Lurker
Reedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MCReedswitch is a savage MC
Fairfield, Iowa
MC Status: 562149

(DJ mixing, not production)

Not looking for anything in particular, just thought I'd throw that out there as I have limited experience mixing techno, everything I know I've figured out on my own so It'd be nice to hear from some of the fine people of the IDM forums.

I've played quite a few sets before at parties and such, but usually stick to simple mixes/blends at intro/outro/breakdowns. Recently though, I've been getting in doing longer mixes and fitting more tracks into a given time. So anything you feel like saying relevant to mixing minimal tech, or EDM in general would be appreciated

Advertisements

Reedswitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060
Re: Any tips on mixing minimal techno?

Altho i love me some techno, many people mix a bit too slow for my tastes. If your playing less then 15 tracks in an hour, thats just plain lazy. Lets be honest, very few tracks really deserve to played for 90% of their runtime. This is pretty minimal most of the time and quite good imo; http://www.essentialmix.net/essentia...ela_hawtin.php // http://www.ump3.de/audio/essential-mix-2007/
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542130
Thanked 7,024 Times in 4,989 Posts

With minimal techno and the like I see no reason not to do long, creative mixes. 1 minute plus ;p

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Sounds like you are already doing it, but really don't hold back on blending the top end of one with the bottom end of another for long periods of time. IMHO techno is meant to be mixed, as all above have said. I like to think of good tracks as colours on a palette, not individual finished pieces.

The minimal heads like to only blend - cut and paste is good too! I am sure this is done elsewhere, but some of the detroit guys really like to mix quickly with lots of chopping. Depends upon the style I suppose. Effects are fun and can help you get out of a mix that doesn't make sense. Also watch this as it sums up pretty much sums up what I am saying far better than I can ever say it :

Last edited by TL072; 22-09-2012 at 06:29 PM..
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542130
Thanked 7,024 Times in 4,989 Posts

I also like the way the Detroit guys mix. I went to Movement this year and had a blast. I forget which of the big name Detroit innovators I saw spin the last night at the main stage, but I was very disappointed in the mixing...straight up train wrecks :/ I never heard if there was a gear issue or what...so I'll reserve judgement. Overall, good old school techno vibes for a lot of the festival.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I also like the way the Detroit guys mix. I went to Movement this year and had a blast. I forget which of the big name Detroit innovators I saw spin the last night at the main stage, but I was very disappointed in the mixing...straight up train wrecks :/ I never heard if there was a gear issue or what...so I'll reserve judgement. Overall, good old school techno vibes for a lot of the festival.
Hahaha - hear that. I went to DEMF a long time back. Excellent week-end down in plaza. Detroit has a feel like no other place. Last night saw Derrick May I think it was, technical issue hell for most of the set - same as you describe. The year before I think the last night was rained out by an apocalyptic rain storm. Anti-climatic with the technical issues, but one hell of a festival (not to mention free in those days), Kookie Scientist, Juan Atkins, Marco Carrola, Inner City - even saw George Clinton one year!

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote