Give Me 3 Random Mixing Tips!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 22-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Lyncaster
Master of the LFO
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga
MC Status: 3794842
Give Me 3 Random Mixing Tips!

Title.

Advertisements

------------------
Llamas are getting on my tits

Lyncaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239
Re: Give Me 3 Random Mixing Tips!

1. Complementary EQ's When 2 sounds overlap in fequencies, cut one sound and boost the other at the same hz to bring them forward
2. Mix at low volumes. Make the meters of each track go to about halfway at the start. You'll have a much easier job mixing like this
3. Listen on different systems, on different volumes, on different days to spot where some sounds stand out more then you want.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to steeboo
The Snakes of Eden (28-07-2012)
Old 22-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Dion818
Analog Lurker
Dion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MCDion818 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32685

1. low cut or high cut sounds that don't need to be there.... (for example: low cut hi hats, snares, pads)

2. dont compress something that dosen't need it (for example: vengeance sample packs) lol

3. keep your master clean... leave that to a mastering engineer

ill give you an extra one:

take frequent breaks so your ears don't get fatigue and play tricks on you
Dion818 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

man these are some nice tips lol not sure if Im gonna top these, but:

1. Most times, the best sounding kicks or snares are one, well recorded sample. So sometimes one sound just sounds better by itself rather then trying to achieve a similar sound using layered samples, no matter how processed, EQed, or and in-tune they are with each other.

2. If you want to learn a certain craft, you try to replicate it as best as you can. Same goes for music. There are many people who will tell you to try to "be original" with your music, which is definitely important, but they are missing the whole point of the learning process. If you want to achieve a similar vibe and sound to X's song, then try to copy it as best as you can. Yes, you will sound exactly like the artist, but you will learn some things along the way which you will use to make more original tunes in the future. Learn the tricks of the trade, then apply it to your own music.

3. know that there are no rules to music production, recording, mixing, or mastering. There are guidelines, but in the end, do what sounds good to you. That is the bottom line to every facet of music.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

1. Balance is the goal.
2. Most of how something sounds is in the context.
3. Less is more.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

1. Less is more.
2. More is more, too.
3. But more can also be less.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
smashingpoop (28-07-2012)
Old 22-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762791

Buy a book that deals with harmony and composition.

If the music is there, mixing problems won´t matter that much.
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
1. Less is more.
2. More is more, too.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Neutr4l Numb3r
Granular Poster
Neutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MC
MC Status: 3363137

1. Dont be a dumbass, keep your kickdrums mono.
2. Stop adding effects to the master channel, you don't know what you're doing.
3. Delete your kickdrums, they were probably shit anyways.

------------------
Neutr4l Numb3r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Lyncaster
Master of the LFO
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga
MC Status: 3794842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutr4l Numb3r View Post
1. Dont be a dumbass, keep your kickdrums mono.
2. Stop adding effects to the master channel, you don't know what you're doing.
3. Delete your kickdrums, they were probably shit anyways.
its a good thing ive never done any of those ever

------------------
Llamas are getting on my tits

Lyncaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
WGS
Soundwave Mangler
WGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MCWGS is a savage MC
Teyxus
MC Status: 2097700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
1. Less is more.
2. More is more, too.
The lesson being (through the process of elimination) that less is not less?

------------------
WGS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Take breaks to give your ears a rest and reference commercial recordings (but remember these have been mastered!)

EQ instruments in the context of the mix: don't solo each channel in turn and eq it until it sounds its best.

Hit play, get up, and go and stand outside in the hall and listen from there; also, listen with your screen turned off or your eyes closed.

Last edited by MeshNation; 23-03-2012 at 01:49 AM..

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

cut lows
cut lows
put bass in mono

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
Crystalline
Learning The Ropes
Crystalline is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Lol yep
Crystalline is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #15
Someone Random
Soundscaper
Someone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MCSomeone Random is a savage MC
Ontario
MC Status: 1633709

1. Take your time
2. Try new things
3. Use sounds that compliment each other

common sense really..

------------------
Follow me on Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/dreckbraely
Someone Random is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536677
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,256 Posts

1. pick sounds that complement one another during composition, eq less
2. automate volumes and compress less
2. LET SOMEONE ELSE MASTER YOUR TRACKS

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #17
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

Try to leave a large head room on the master. Around -5 is what I try to accomplish. . Don't touch the master but, with your mixing you can get it there.

If any instrument is too low, turn everything else down to it. If any instrument is too loud, turn it down to the rest. It might get very quiet, but once the levels sound good together, you can equally raise them all up.

Cutting heavy bass sounds at around 100hz, can bring your kick forward, and also kill some muddiness. It can work on many instruments, but everything isn't good. In fact I guess, that can be said about different freq's in all. I'm actually going to go do this now...

And I suck. And awesome thread.

o7
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
SuiJuris
Analog Lurker
SuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 220276

1. Start with good quality drum samples or breaks, try to use samples that you don't need to eq at all.
2. Get yourself something like izotope alloy and run it on your drum buss this will make your breaks/ beats sound 100% fatter and also bring them together more.
3. Sidechaining is the shit.

------------------
Freedom...
SuiJuris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031841
Thanked 7,288 Times in 4,527 Posts

Turn channel 1 up a bit.
Turn channel 7 down a bit.
Add some reverb on the vocal.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Sentimental
Ask Yourself
Sentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MC
Belfast
MC Status: 755910

some awesome tips on here

1. if your master is almost clipping go through every track and turn them all down by 2dB or however much you need, turn your speakers up a bit and nothing will have changed but your master

2. low cut EVERYTHING apart from your kick & bass unless theres something that needs to have low frequencies, it should be sidechained or added when the kick is out

3. put an EQ on your master and cut everything under 30Hz and everything above 19.5-19.8kHz your ears wont hear much outside this frequencies and you wont be able to tell a change has been made

also before you decide your mix down is finshed always go away and come back a day or two later for a final listen, you might notice something worth fixing

Advertisements

Sentimental is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote