[Electro House] Do these 2 songs sound too much the same?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
zoop
Sample Destroyer
zoop is a jewel in the roughzoop is a jewel in the roughzoop is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
[Electro House] Do these 2 songs sound too much the same?

Hey all,

I'm here with a specific question that then branches out into a somewhat philosophical one: Do the following two songs sound too much alike?

(I apologize if you heard them on the forums already)

*May want to turn it down - upon uploading, I realized I need to turn a lot of things down in this one*

Song 1:

Song 2:

My thoughts are this: In terms of structure, they are somewhat similar. Although the first one is unfinished, there are obvious similarities in terms of how the songs are put together. They also use the same methods of buildup (I toyed around with EQ automation clips but used the same automation clip (more or less) in both) Furthermore, they are utilizing the same synth. In contrast, however, they are melodically different - and is that enough to justify a second song, or would the first serve a greater good as a continuation / addition to the second?

So, philosophically speaking, how much different does a song have to be to have it's own identity?

Last edited by zoop; 12-12-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Advertisements

------------------

Bassnectar feat. W Darling -- You And Me (Trap Remix)
zoop is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electro House] Do these 2 songs sound too much the same?.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
thin king
Soundscaper
thin king is a jewel in the roughthin king is a jewel in the roughthin king is a jewel in the rough
Sheffield
Re: [Electro House] Do these 2 songs sound too much the same?

They are definitely pretty similar so much so you could almost make the second one a progression from the first maybe? The first one seems to have too much top end and not enough bottom end - the kick is really lacking sub. The second one sounds alot fuller and better produced to be honest but I think the sidechaining is over done towards the end. Hope that makes sense?
thin king is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69610
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,032 Posts

I mean yeah they are different, but the synth is playing the same position in the song, It has the same general feeling, and yeah structure is pretty close to exact,

so in a nutshell,

No, this is basically different edits of the same song, or retakes, ect.

That's what most people will assume by default.

now feedback?
the first track lacks alot of things, it sounds squashed. maybe not go over the limiter so much?(which I assume is keeping this thing from cliping, just look at waveform.)

Also, the sidechaining is a good start, but it sounds cheesy with how exaggerated. you should be good on that if you set to -19.5 as threshold and 2.0 ratio, and screw with the release a little.

also, the sub bass thats playing, its nice and all.

But it doesn't ever turn off. and that equals ear fatigue, and not to mention it doesn't sound good after 2 mins straight.

Also, to put the nail in the coffin for me, you have a decent melody, but it repeats throughout the whole song, and same issue as the bass,

to simplify; more variation and try to not use it the entire track. overplaying the melody will make people bored as hell.

anyways man, I hope I was helpful and not too much of a dick, but to my ears and me, those are the major issues I see atm, there is probably more, but I'm not going give you the third degree.

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
zoop
Sample Destroyer
zoop is a jewel in the roughzoop is a jewel in the roughzoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I mean yeah they are different, but the synth is playing the same position in the song, It has the same general feeling, and yeah structure is pretty close to exact,

so in a nutshell,

No, this is basically different edits of the same song, or retakes, ect.

That's what most people will assume by default.

now feedback?
the first track lacks alot of things, it sounds squashed. maybe not go over the limiter so much?(which I assume is keeping this thing from cliping, just look at waveform.)

Also, the sidechaining is a good start, but it sounds cheesy with how exaggerated. you should be good on that if you set to -19.5 as threshold and 2.0 ratio, and screw with the release a little.

also, the sub bass thats playing, its nice and all.

But it doesn't ever turn off. and that equals ear fatigue, and not to mention it doesn't sound good after 2 mins straight.

Also, to put the nail in the coffin for me, you have a decent melody, but it repeats throughout the whole song, and same issue as the bass,

to simplify; more variation and try to not use it the entire track. overplaying the melody will make people bored as hell.

anyways man, I hope I was helpful and not too much of a dick, but to my ears and me, those are the major issues I see atm, there is probably more, but I'm not going give you the third degree.
Constructive criticism is always much more helpful than anything else - so spare nothing! I won't learn and grow without pointers as to how I can improve

Advertisements

------------------

Bassnectar feat. W Darling -- You And Me (Trap Remix)
zoop is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote