Kick Drum Processing - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #21
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810
Re: Kick Drum Processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre Lights View Post
What's the lowest frequency you guys like to have your kicks peak at? And how sharp (if any) of a roll-off do you like to use under that?
this is interesting because lately I've been analyzing some punch drums that I found comfortable to listen to and the lowest frequency rolled off at 90hz, I think it's a taste thing but I get tired fast if there is 60hz punch going on (it also depends on the style of music though...techno needs low frequencies for example so that's an exception)
I started working to try to get punchiness out of a kick without the 50 - 70hz range and struggled, I finally found out in the end that the trick is to pitchbend the tail of the punch really fast and position it correctly under the start punch (transient).
I wasted time trying to distort it in different ways but the distortion actually ruins the dynamics, the lowest frequencies in your punch should have minimal distortion and still have the sinusoidal shape. that's why I often seperate the transient from the tail.

Advertisements

aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre Lights View Post
Interesting technique. Do you have an example of the results?
well here is an example of that [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(changed)

btw in the last post I made, I meant to say "without the 50 - 70hz range peaking"

Last edited by aLiner; 13-08-2016 at 03:09 PM..
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #23
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

Have you tried frequency splitting and parallel processing? FL is really good for this and you can do all sorts of clever stuff like tuned distortions all from a single kick sample.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 04:14 AM   #24
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

I saw a couple tutorials about mastering tracks, and I thought it was interesting.

These guys put a compressor, an EQ (or maybe an EQ could be placed before the compressor), another compressor, another EQ, and then applied a limiter (or in the case of FL, a maximus).

I do this lately, this stacking, and truly, honestly, even with old drum machine samples, you get the Vengeance effect. I even use the generic "drums" presets on the Compressors because I'm such a blockhead I don't really understand compression and measuring out how many milliseconds I need for the desired effect.

In a world where so many genres demand maximum punch and attack and aggression in sounds, this works. You will have to tune each sound in the EQ stages to accommodate the tone. Also, remember to balance out the volume. EQ changes don't necessarily mean adding gain.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #25
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
I saw a couple tutorials about mastering tracks, and I thought it was interesting.

These guys put a compressor, an EQ (or maybe an EQ could be placed before the compressor), another compressor, another EQ, and then applied a limiter (or in the case of FL, a maximus).

I do this lately, this stacking, and truly, honestly, even with old drum machine samples, you get the Vengeance effect. I even use the generic "drums" presets on the Compressors because I'm such a blockhead I don't really understand compression and measuring out how many milliseconds I need for the desired effect.

In a world where so many genres demand maximum punch and attack and aggression in sounds, this works. You will have to tune each sound in the EQ stages to accommodate the tone. Also, remember to balance out the volume. EQ changes don't necessarily mean adding gain.
no you dont need to tune anything to the eq, this is what i add to a kick if going fruity stock. eq blood overdrive for the punch then fruity limiter for the compression and i would add a little gate to shorten the tail, its all down to sidechain. Plus also you get the loudness to from the drum bus which would have the maximus on it. Ore if useing fl 12 onwards id use that new transient plugin insted of blood overdrive.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 04:32 AM   #26
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
no you dont need to tune anything to the eq, this is what i add to a kick if going fruity stock. eq blood overdrive for the punch then fruity limiter for the compression and i would add a little gate to shorten the tail, its all down to sidechain. Plus also you get the loudness to from the drum bus which would have the maximus on it. Ore if useing fl 12 onwards id use that new transient plugin insted of blood overdrive.
You don't have to, no, but it brings out the desirable aspects of the drum in each phase. I think the blood overdrive risks making the drum fuzzy vs punchy. Too much click at the beginning or hiss at the end, etc doesn't make it the round drum it can be, which I think people forget is what makes dubstep drums sound so good, that the snare hits just as hard as the kick in response.

I think honestly as well that drums with reverb added in (for example, a lot of kicks from an alesis sr-16 drum machine) are bullshit because once you start processing, you're accounting for all the reverb that was thrown in, the reverb's quality, etc. Makes more sense just to use the trim and out knobs on the sampler and pull it down just to the hit, do the processing, and at the very end, pick a reverb you like.

I stuck with 10 for the sake of familiarity, sometimes I use 11 with the blocks template. FL 12 is nicer on the eyes but I just think it's cartoony, they ripped out the pattern selector (hey, helps you select the first ten patterns easier). I kind of like trying out the editions of each DAW after the developers really decide what they wanted (so much focus on vector graphics and it took them til 12.1.2? to figure out that track selecting in the sequencer was a good idea??), I think you can "update" your native plugs too just with copying/pasting, it worked with the last 4 versions or so, maybe it's possible to do the same with the plugs from 12.
Old 27-09-2016, 04:36 AM   #27
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by traphomey View Post
I told you what I saw on youtu.be , "Compression takes me forever to learn". I swear this words from Avicii
Right? I know how to destroy sounds with compression, not fix them lol, that's what the presets are for. Like "drums" on the standard compressor works perfect for bringing out dynamics, FL limiter's "drum compression 3" is subtle, "drum compression 1" is kinda extreme. Hey, do what great artists do and "steal", lol.

Oh, and if a sound isn't punchy (explodosound) enough? Go to the source sound and go to the misc tab and pump the volume, feeding the compressor/limiter/etc only hurts if you haven't selected the right preset.
Old 27-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #28
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

Mad props to people aiming for good drums using FX presets.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
brb (27-09-2016)
Old 27-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #29
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69891369
Thanked 1,024 Times in 663 Posts

The presets on my washing machine are great.

------------------
:mayonesa:
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
Wulfsok (27-11-2016)
Old 27-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #30
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
The presets on my washing machine are great.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
brb (28-09-2016)
Old 28-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #31
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
Mad props to people aiming for good drums using FX presets.
What part of not being good with measuring milliseconds was unclear?

Knowing what tool you need to get where you want is more important than knowing the intricate details involved with setting fx. I know how to use threshold and gain but attack and release are difficult in an effect I can't exactly hear well.
Old 28-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #32
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki

Quote:
What part of not being good with measuring milliseconds was unclear?

Knowing what tool you need to get where you want is more important than knowing the intricate details involved with setting fx. I know how to use threshold and gain but attack and release are difficult in an effect I can't exactly hear well.
And there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that the odds for having settings being spot on, when jumping into a preset are not exactly high.

------------------
Old 28-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #33
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
And there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that the odds for having settings being spot on, when jumping into a preset are not exactly high.
That's where listening becomes effective.

If you don't have general settings (approximations) with a "product" what good is it for? As in how likely do you think someone will use it? I've tried doing visual analysis of sounds in say, the limiter, but me fiddling vs selecting a preset, I can say more often than not the preset creates a more suitable tone. Nobody gives a shit if it's the automatic transmission on the car, but it has to be perfect and unique in every nuance for art; I've seen dudes that work like that, they put out less quality work at a slower rate that tends to be underwhelming when you press "play".
Old 29-09-2016, 12:42 AM   #34
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870

I do a thingie where I take the original (synthesized/sampled/previously layered commercial sample pack poop/etc..) and using FX racks in Ableton basically disect the sample into layers. Kinda the reverse of layering.

I segragate out the foundations of the kick I want to emphasize and cut out what I don't want.

If I get time this evening I'll post a vid or something.

It's more fitting for the OP, as it's kinda not layering...but kinda is...or something like that
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #35
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
Helsinki

Quote:
That's where listening becomes effective.
I give up.

------------------
Thanks to -Agu-
agent (01-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #36
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I keep mine 50 hz and up, and if I run a hipass, I put it at 30-40 hz, steep cutoff (24 db/oct or greater). Any less and the filter doesn't have room to actually reduce the sub frequencies before it hits 0 hz IMO.
Same here, except I usually boost the low peak around 60hz. It's been the sweet spot for my ears forever probably because I feel it more on the 5 inch monitors I have with no sub. 50 is good for deep kicks for sure, especially in electronic music.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #37
TheSampleThief
Microknight
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

In one of my newer tracks, I've used for 1 kick:

- 1 kick drum [+ compression +EQ]
- 1 tom tom [+EQ]
- 1 high Snare [+reverb +EQ]
- 1 Subbase [+reverb +EQ]
- 2 different samples of steps [+reverb +EQ +delay]

I think I might have forgotten something.

My experience is just to try everything out you can think of and keep comparing your kicks to kicks of tracks you like. Really listen what goes into those kicks.

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #38
Matech
Granular Poster
Matech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

You can use something like Operator (basically a synth with a sine) and filter and pitch modulate that to make the low end of a kick, and then add clicks and distortion to finalise.

If you have tried something like Drumatic or Nicky Romero Kick and Im sure there are other examples of software which utilise this technique.

It usually leaves the mid range open for other elements.
Matech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:58 AM   #39
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enoughtivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 110

For kick drum I use Sonic academy Kick 2 plugin. It has all necessary processing stuff inside it and it lets you manually set things like pitch/tone/lenght of every layer (you can layer one sub and three top sounds in it).
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #40
yoyokidz
Minor Glitch
yoyokidz will become famous soon enough
Copenhagen
MC Status: 60

I usually find a kick from a track I like and that I know works in clubs etc. Then put it in Ableton and watch the waveform and then try to recreate that waveform, mostly the basspart, with Bazzism or the Nicky Romero one. Bounce it and redo it over and over till the waveforms look alike. And then sample the first tick of the original track, just a few ms.

Advertisements

yoyokidz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote