Demolishing the Myths Of Compression - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 AM   #21
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55460
Thanked 1,109 Times in 730 Posts
Re: Demolishing the Myths Of Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
you absolutely can make dynamic range greater with compression.

imagine a drum hit and a compressor set up with a low threshold and slow enough attack to let the transient through. the tail will be compressed and the transient will not (put crudely), thus expanding the dynamic range.

I might have been trolling but I don't remember honestly

Advertisements

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Parricide (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #22
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18029969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post

I might have been trolling but I don't remember honestly
well it worked on me XD

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Vault O))) (08-04-2017)
Old 25-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #23
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
yea it does!
an example is that compression makes a signal louder.

as for equalizer legends....

...pro-Q

/thread
........it does tho. ....makes it power. ....
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
Parricide (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #24
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18029969

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
........it does tho. ....makes it power. ....
just turn the gain up to 11. mad loud bruh

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #25
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

'Splode-o-sound. Was fun till people complained they thought my shiz was too gritty.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

Great read,

"pushing a sound into a compressor is like pushing an object into a stretched rubber band. The harder you push the object, the more the rubber band pushes back. Michael listens for the point where there’s a musical push-pull movement and the comp feels springy and flexible."

That's very probably the best explanation I've read on how to think of a compressor properly.

Also Myth #4 (compression reduces dynamic range) was probably just created to help sell transient designers... :problemofficer:
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #27
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55460
Thanked 1,109 Times in 730 Posts

MRW I realized I actually liked the sound of sounds being pushed against metaphorical rubber bands:

On a serious note, this is a great article to come back to semi-often to keep things in perspective. EQ and compression are still like worlds of their own to me, and I've been trying really hard to understand them for like 2 decades.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #28
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200060
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
MRW I realized I actually liked the sound of sounds being pushed against metaphorical rubber bands:

On a serious note, this is a great article to come back to semi-often to keep things in perspective. EQ and compression are still like worlds of their own to me, and I've been trying really hard to understand them for like 2 decades.
Seriously?

I'm no wizard when it comes to Compression, but I have "a thing" for EQ..don't really know why, but messing around with EQ in a mix is one of the main "fun" things about producing music for me.

Feel free to PM me and we can go over it a little if you want.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #29
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

Idk. I should probably practice more with them but atm, if every compressor would just disappear from the universe I wouldn't probably even notice straight away. The only one I pretty much ever use is OTT (not because of the actual downward compression but for bringing up tails and stuff) and even then it's just like one on the drum bus, with gentle settings.

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
A.M (26-05-2017)