Need Advice! All this gear and I donít know where to start
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 23-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Cjames123
IDMf's latest spammer
Cjames123 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Need Advice! All this gear and I donít know where to start

Let me start by saying that I have been producing for about 12 years with not much luck. Started in the box and landed on Ableton eventually.

Most recently I’ve acquired a decent amount of gear that I just don’t know where to start with. I’m basically looking for your thoughts on what direction I should go in and where to start.

I want to create progressive house, techno, deep house, etc

Hopefully I don’t get bumped into the hardware section as I am looking for Production advice, but I will list my gear below:

Elektron Octatrack MK 1
Arturia Beatstep Pro
Make Noise 0coast
Dreadbox FX Hades Bass Synth
Korg Volca Beats, Sample, and Keys
Korg SQ-1 Sequencer
3 Teenage Engineering Pockket Operators
Focal Alpha Monitors
Beyerdynamics DT880 Cans
MacBook Pro
Ableton Live 9
Behringer Analog Mixer that can pretty much handle all of my outboard gear

I know that with all this gear, plus a bunch of ITB plugins, synths, mixing and mastering tools I can create a bang up sound with a mixture of digital and analog tools. It’s just getting started is where I get stumped.

Anyways, I really want to put my gear to great use to make full songs both to release and possibly play live both as a DJ and create a live rig. The other thought was to sell of all my gear and go full modular.

Any advice on where to get started, what to do, motivation tips and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know I’m all over the place but I’m sure you folks out there have some great opinions on the direction I should head in.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited by Cjames123; 23-10-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Advertisements

Cjames123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts
Re: Need Advice! All this gear and I donít know where to start

What have you been doing so far? How well do you get on with the octatrack?

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Cjames123
IDMf's latest spammer

Honestly in the past 12 years I have been just messing around with many ideas. I have a few finished tracks but nothing solid. I know Iíve been lazy, but also life has gotten in the way numerous times. Iím ready to buckle up and put serious time into doing this.

I have had the octatrack for about 4 months. Iíve got the basic workflow down, but I know there is an entire world of capabilities it has. I am willing to invest some serious time into learning the machine as I know that I can get some great ideas out of it both from a live and studio perspective. Also, I love the fact that I can sequence my midi gear with it.

Iíve read that many give up on the machine because of its steep learning curve. I donít want to give up on it as I truly believe that it could be a valuable piece of gear that has the potential to be the heart of my rig.
Old 23-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

I am in a similar position with the octatrack. I'm assuming you have a midi splitter so that you can control and sync all of your midi stuff at the same time?

If you want advice on how to use this equipment to make music I cannot type up even half of a decent response on my phone here sat at work while I should be doing stuff. Have the octatrack as the central hub both sampling your stuff and also sequencing it... I feel that this is not what you're asking though

What aspect of getting music together do you struggle with the most?

------------------
Old 23-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Cjames123
IDMf's latest spammer

Yep, I have a midi splitter that works well. Also, no worries on not being able to fully respond as typing on the phone can be a bit of a pain.

I know the octatrack is a powerhouse that just needs to be learned. I want to get to a point of where I am very comfortable using it in many different scenarios.

I want to utilize all of my tools to create songs. My initial idea is too just record parts into ableton and glue them together in arrangement and/or session view. Also, I could sync all of my gear up, have a jam session and cut parts up that I like.

My main issue is motivation. I want to make this happen. I want to create singles and even an album. One of my questions is - how do all of you manage your time to be effective during Production? Where do you find motivation? What would you do with my goal and style of music considering the tools I have at my disposal?

I realize this is a very general topic, but I feel that with enough of everyone’s opinions and advice I can formulate ideas and finally find the motivation to get off my butt and do what I have been dreaming about all these years.

I should mention I started djing about 10 years before I started producing, so I have about 22 years of music ideas and knowledge (if that’s what you want to call it) under my belt.
Old 23-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Well its hard if you don't have lots of free time and sometimes its hard even if you do. Use that motivation, tell yourself to fucking do it when you're really tired. Since I've had the octatrack and bought some other gear too I haven't finished a track, or even got close. Learning the shit out of it will be a satisfying journey (probably maybe) but its not gonna help you make loads of music in my opinion. You left the computer behind for a reason I guess but that's where pproductivity lose because its so much faster. Yes, record your loops into ableton I would say for sure! And when you get home from work you eat and immediately fire up your shit and do it until you iron a shirt and go bed x

------------------
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
lolirl (23-10-2017)
Old 23-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

I think you already know you just have to jump in with both feet.
Start something, work on it, and get yourself to the point where you can't concentrate at work and you're ratty with everyone because your track is consuming your thoughts and you just can't wait to get home and fix those issues that are obvious now that you can't get at them.
You have to fully invest yourself. Don't even bother asking the lads what they're up to at the weekend any more. You know what you're doing. You're working on music. Let them call you when they realise you're missing. When they ask if you've got a new missus or something, play them your track. Don't hide it from them. Let them rip the piss out of it and you for making it. Next time you wont make the same mistakes, or you'll find some new friends. Only you can decide if staying in was worth it or not.

Same goes for telly.
It's pretty much all shit these days anyway so you wont be missing much.
Pick a couple of shows and watch them on demand.
Don't graze tv all week and then moan that you have no time to make music.

Make music first, everything else comes after.
Try it for a month like a diet, then make it how you live for a year.
This time next year decide if it's worth continuing.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (23-10-2017)
Old 23-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

This is what im doing now, the only exception being I have a needy girlfriend because she doesn't have anything else to do other than spend time with me... Why you think I just bought her a novation circuit lol

This in tandem with learning octatrack and ever expanding setup = no finished music yet. Sell most of your shit 💩 you can open up a project in ableton and be exactly in the right place to move forward and can accomplish a lot in 2 hours think about it.

------------------
Old 23-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183810
Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I think you already know you just have to jump in with both feet.
Start something, work on it, and get yourself to the point where you can't concentrate at work and you're ratty with everyone because your track is consuming your thoughts and you just can't wait to get home and fix those issues that are obvious now that you can't get at them.
You have to fully invest yourself. Don't even bother asking the lads what they're up to at the weekend any more. You know what you're doing. You're working on music. Let them call you when they realise you're missing. When they ask if you've got a new missus or something, play them your track. Don't hide it from them. Let them rip the piss out of it and you for making it. Next time you wont make the same mistakes, or you'll find some new friends. Only you can decide if staying in was worth it or not.

Same goes for telly.
It's pretty much all shit these days anyway so you wont be missing much.
Pick a couple of shows and watch them on demand.
Don't graze tv all week and then moan that you have no time to make music.

Make music first, everything else comes after.
Try it for a month like a diet, then make it how you live for a year.
This time next year decide if it's worth continuing.

There's your answer right there ^

lolirl is right..and I'd go even a little further and say you issue has less to do with the gear you have and how you can use it best, but more to do with you, yourself. It's not about the stuff you have in or out of the box..you can make music banging a couple of pots together and recording the resulting classic on your mobile phone to showcase to all the world. But if you can't be arsed to pick up those pots..or are crippled by wondering which pot to bang against which, then you're never going to get very far, no matter how much gear you own.

To become good at producing music, you need to put in some serious time in order to get serious results..and if that scares you or you find it off-putting, then maybe that's because you're been treating it as a hobby..or something you do when you don't have anything else to do with your free time. If that is the case, then that has to change.

Seeing as you've already started the up-hill trek of learning to use the octatrack, I'd stick with that as you main "technical schooling" for now. Learn it inside-out and don't try to be creative with it at this stage..just learn what it can do and how you can use it, as well as perfecting your skills when it comes to using it.

At the same time, while you're getting your head around the octatrack, get creative with all the other gear you have..make basic tunes and/or put down some basic musical scaffolding for future tracks/albums/projects. Don't beat yourself up by telling yourself how much you don't know, but rather focus more on what you would like to do musically. Use the work of other artists you like to inspire your imagination..and then try to just go with it from there..hit the keys and see where it takes you. Don't get bogged down in structure or anything like that..you can focus on all that later, once you have something to work with..all you're doing at this stage is exercising your creativity muscle, making it stronger and more reliable, just as you would do with any other muscle when you exercise it.

The whole point of doing things this way is that as you learn about the octatrack, you're also becoming proficient using everything else, as a side benefit of becoming more creative. You need to keep that balance going and it has to be fun,, otherwise you'll just get bored, become pissed off and walk away from it all. You need to actually see that you are making progress and keep that end goal in mind.

Nobody (..or very few, maybe) sits down and just writes/composes/produces an album off the top of their heads. It's a task that requires planning and thought..everything from the message you want to pass on in your work, if any..the sounds you're going to use to create the tone and feel of the work..right down to the standard stuff, such as track length, how many tracks there's going to be, artwork and track names..but most of this stuff you won't have to even bother with until you have actually completed you music.

In short, learn the octatrack..mess around with the other gear and software..and try to become more creative..that's all there is to..really..but only YOU can do it..and all the advice and suggestions we can offer don't mean shit if you don't get up and actually put them into action.

It's you call..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
In short, learn the octatrack..mess around with the other gear and software..and try to become more creative..that's all there is to..really..but only YOU can do it..and all the advice and suggestions we can offer don't mean shit if you don't get up and actually put them into action.
This but I'd change trying to become creative to try and become more productive. I would argue with AM that you should go against what your heart is saying and cut out anything that slows you down, makes things difficult or hinders you actually turning ab idea into a finished piece of music

Not that he's wrong I just have a different opinion obviously

------------------
A.M (23-10-2017)
Old 23-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183810
Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
This but I'd change trying to become creative to try and become more productive. I would argue with AM that you should go against what your heart is saying and cut out anything that slows you down, makes things difficult or hinders you actually turning ab idea into a finished piece of music

Not that he's wrong I just have a different opinion obviously

I actually agree with FMB, in that I personally see becoming more creative as part of becoming more productive..the two go hand in hand in my mind. Basically, if you don't produce more music as a direct result of being more creative, then you really not being creative at all..you've just been thinking creatively, which is what you've basically been doing up to this point.

But you're now at the stage where you have to actually become creative, which means jumping in and getting your hands dirty, by putting in the time and developing a serious mindset and approach to how and why you make music..or sound..or whatever the hell it is you want to make.

And, yeah, FMB is right about him having a different opinion..and that's a good thing, trust me..if we all suggested the same things whenever people asked questions on here, then that wouldn't be very helpful. Basically, it's always better to have more options than fewer ones open to you, as it means you get to choose what works for you and what doesn't. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to making music, once you've mastered the basics that everyone should really learn about..such as EQ, Compression and Reverb.

But yeah, basically get busy and don't let anything pull you away from doing it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
FunkMasterBrown (23-10-2017)
Old 23-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
My main issue is motivation. I want to make this happen. I want to create singles and even an album. One of my questions is - how do all of you manage your time to be effective during Production? Where do you find motivation? What would you do with my goal and style of music considering the tools I have at my disposal?
Sorry for my very subjective answer, but since you ask what we would do: I would sell all the hardware stuff, maybe buy an (one!) expressive midi controller like the seaboard or linnstrument and start focusing on finishing tracks ITB with endless sound design possibilities and without worrying about where to put, how to connect or how to integrate all that awesome hardware... but that's just me.

More importantly, set yourself deadlines to finish and yeah, like lolirl said, play the tracks to your friends and other people, too! I played many really bad tracks to my friends for years and I'm sure some hated me for it But some liked some stuff and I got some honest feedback, I improved and nowadays the same people that were probably thinking (and sometimes saying ) "oh fuck, he is connecting his USB drive again to play his shitty experimental pseudo-whatever stuff" enjoy listening to some of my tracks

To improve, you have to produce and finish tracks. A lot. There are other ways (study, copy and so on) that can help, but to develop your own skills and style there is really no way around it imho. Do it right now, tell yourself "I will finish some shitty track in the next 2 days and play it to at least 3 friends"

If you don't want to spend all the time alone in your studio, try to convince your girlfriend or someone else to join you in your quest for better music...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Metaside
A.M (23-10-2017)
Old 23-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Im so fuckin ready to go home and make some music now, I hope im not too fucked later that it becomes more of a chore than a pleasure. Im the same in the sense that I recently got an octatrack and some other supporting acts to go with some stuff I already had. I can make music perfectly fine on a computer but went down this route for specific reasons and won't be doing this forever...its more of a lengthy project which will probably result in me selling half my shit at the end. Maybe you and i should get in the 'actively making music and excited about it thread'...

Advertisements

------------------
A.M (23-10-2017)