How to criticize your own music like a normal listener? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 31-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924
Re: How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I've noticed that if I sit in the room and wait while a person listens to my tune, I get a new feeling for which parts are too long. Time flows differently for the composer. For the listener, they don't know what comes next, so sometimes they are just waiting and waiting, and then the part comes. There might be some subtle variations happening during the waiting time, but all that effort to make that subtlety might be irrelevant to the listener, so they just wait.

So if you sit in the room with them while they are kind enough to hear the whole tune, you might find yourself feeling impatient. And that's a good thing, because it let's you notice the flow of your tune more honestly.
This works for me too, you don`t even have to be in the same room, I can send it to someone and then suddenly have a different viewpoint...helps even more if I`m stoned and/or drunk, heh, but yeah, it`s good way to flip creators mindset into listeners. Maybe depends on your empathy levels though, dunno.

Advertisements

mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mr.Qaobab
Nystagmus (31-07-2016)
Old 31-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #22
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19560

not really possible
that's why asking your friends' opinions helps
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #23
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

I have a few other composers of various styles added on Facebook where we all send each others stuff over to each other for review before any of us release tracks. Works reasonably well.

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #24
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Alter your consciousness. Drugs / alcohol work(s)

Drunk me picks out all the flaws that sober me thinks aren't noticeable
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #25
erikmichael
Minor Glitch
erikmichael has a spectacular aura abouterikmichael has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 160

I definitely agree with listening while someone else sits in the room. You become more critical of the song and hear it as a whole. Another strategy is making sure you bounce your track out of your daw and listen in iTunes. If you try to criticize your track as a listener while working in your daw you will be distracted and misled by the visual feedback and tempted to tweak as you listen.
erikmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

One thing I will add here is that listening to your track while looking at your timeline in the project changes your perception. When you can see what's coming next and when new sounds will be introduced its a slightly different experience than just listening to the audio alone. I'll often half close my laptop lid and listen so I can't see the timeline.

Now, assuming you've exported the track, most of the suggestions already given are solid. Listen to it with someone else in the room, leave the track for a couple of days and listen to it fresh, listen to it on different headphones/speakers. Also, uploading it to Soundcloud or where ever and listening to it like any other listener would, with the title name sitting next to the song.

Other than that just generally try to imagine that you're somebody else listening to the track for the first time.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #27
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20510

be as harsh as possible and tire yourself out, then take a break and do it all over again until you fall into a depressing stoop and finally make a quality track.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #28
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

I used to sit in my apartment and smoke blunts all day. Sometimes when I would just hit random on my music player it would periodically pick one of my tunes and I wouldn't recognize it. The fuck is this shit!

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Hygro (21-11-2016)
Old 13-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #29
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon4 Re: How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
One thing I will add here is that listening to your track while looking at your timeline in the project changes your perception. When you can see what's coming next and when new sounds will be introduced its a slightly different experience than just listening to the audio alone. I'll often half close my laptop lid and listen so I can't see the timeline.
This is such a really good point!

That is one of the things I don't like about SoundCloud.
It messes up the element of surprise for listeners.
And that's a big component of music composition.
That takes away a lot of the impact of a tune and makes it harder to sound good.

I wish there were ways of disabling it.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
vashima (23-08-2016)
Old 14-08-2016, 12:57 AM   #30
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

it denies audiophille experience also

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 01:12 AM   #31
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
it denies audiophille experience also
What denies audiophile experience?
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 03:35 AM   #32
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
What denies audiophile experience?
soundcloud

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 04:31 AM   #33
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
soundcloud
aww, gotcha.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #34
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
Biggest problem i have is that whatever i create i think it's great. How can I criticize my own music like a third person? I know it sounds stupid, but are there any questions you should ask yourself when creating music? I can't spot small mistakes in my music until someone tells me, then it is clear in my ears what minor mistakes i have. Any tips for noob producers like me?
Constantly compare it to other tracks: Often, you have like a few tracks you really like and are inspired by and that sound similar in what you are trying to achieve with your track. Now start to really compare your own tracks to those in terms of:

- Mastering/Mixing: How do the different aspects of the track sound? For example, how loud are the snares or the kicks? Try and figure out the "anatomy" of those sounds; how does the EQ look like for them, what kind of plugins are used?

- Composition: How does the track start, finish? How does it change over time to keep being exiting and not monotone? How does the track achieve buildups, breakdowns etc.

I usually do this all the time when producing; just have like a few tracks in your player and while producing, constantly listen to certain parts to keep your ears focused on what your track should sound like (in terms of mixing/mastering) and to get ideas about your composition.
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #35
papo
Microknight
papo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Don't listen to it for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks it will sound to you worse than you've remembered
papo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #36
yellowz
Learning The Ropes
yellowz is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

don't listen to detail, listen to overall sound
yellowz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #37
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

Grab a normal listener, don't tell them it's your track. Wait for reaction
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #38
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3110

reverse it
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #39
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

Interesting question! You are never going to be a normal listener again. Not to your own music and not to other peoples music. I don't think any of us should work on listening to their own music with a fresh perspective, but instead should work on listening to their own music from the same perspective while still coming up with fresh ideas for improvement.

You never want your ability to listen to music to regress back to it's original state. Instead, find some ways to continue improving your ability to listen so that you can apply what you listen to what you create. Every track should be a learning opportunity rather than just a listening to of music.

I don't ever miss the days when I would just hear/enjoy music rather than analyze/internalize/listen to music.
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #40
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752950

I hate mostly everything I create, so i don't have that problem haha.

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote