VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 23-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
T-double-U
Regular Freak
T-double-U is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use?

I'm currently using Ozone 7 and I love it. That paired up with Fab Filters Limiter and I'm set. Still in the works of mastering (no pun intended) mastering! EQ seems to be the most challenging when I master.

So what do you guys use? I've been hearing so much about Alloy....what's the difference? What advantage does it have over Ozone?

Advertisements

T-double-U is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260
Re: VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use?

Alloy shouldn't have any advantages over Ozone really. As far as I know, you have access to the same types of filters/limiters/compressors/distortion, and then Ozone has more. Ozone has more precise modeling and control, but that does come at a performance cost. Alloy is a stripped down version of Ozone that uses far fewer resources so that you can run multiple instances in a project and not melt your CPU, and that's about it.

As far as what I'd use outside of Ozone for mastering, I'd consider anything by TDR or VOS (pretty sure they're merged now, but a lot of their older stuff is still on their original sites) for it's intended use (except proximity, better as a mixing tool in my opinion). It could be good to get away from Ozone, with all that stuff there, I always feel tempted to use it all when I may very well only need two things, and good settings (for my mixes) tend to be 10% wet or less. Ozone feels like overkill a lot of the time. And bonus, you can have a much more flexible/advanced mastering chain spread across a couple of busses in your DAW than you can ever get out of a single instance of Ozone.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

I use independent plugins (TDR, VoS, Slate, DMG, Sonnox, Voxengo, etc) rather than all-in-one plugins like Ozone. More control and variation.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Alert (02-03-2016)
Old 23-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536127
Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts

Waves S1, Tokyo labs EQ, Ableton live's multi band dynamics, live's limiter

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Terry West's CS12m v1.69 is really pretty nice for EQ and NY style compression.
I also have two instances of EasyQ ready for more precise EQing. One is in stereo mode and one is in Mid-Side mode. And then of course LookAhead Limiter in dual mono mode at maximum speed to limit all the peaks invisibly. Then I use a waveform scope (it's either Freakascope or Smexoscope; i forget which) to make sure the waveform isn't clipped or squashed too much. And RMS Buddy so I can get an optimal RMS level over the course of the whole tune.

This is a good combo that gets me through a lot.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #6
Oktipus
Minor Glitch
Oktipus will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

My go-to plugin chain is definitely the Waves J37 "Abbey Road" Tape into the Waves L3 Multimaximizer with the Waves S1 Stereo Imager on the tail end. There's a reason why every professional recording studio uses Waves plugins.

Of course Voxengo SPAN Plus is used for spectrum analysis.

As for Izotope Ozone, in my opinion, Ableton Live's stereo enhanced mastering chain or FL Studio's Maximus beat it hands down.

Last edited by Oktipus; 24-02-2016 at 04:47 AM..
Oktipus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:20 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts

I wouldn't call what I do mastering, but...

Waves H EQ
U-he Satin
U-he Presswerk
Voxengo Elephant Limiter

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktipus View Post
My go-to plugin chain is definitely the Waves J37 "Abbey Road" Tape into the Waves L3 Multimaximizer with the Waves S1 Stereo Imager on the tail end. There's a reason why every professional recording studio uses Waves plugins.

As for Izotope Ozone, in my opinion, Ableton Live's stereo enhanced mastering chain or FL Studio's Maximus beat it hands down.

why S1 on the end?

------------------
Old 24-02-2016, 05:57 AM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

to be honest, im not doubting your method, only curious as i prefer it earlier in the chain.

------------------
Old 24-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610

Depending on the type of track I'm working with I'll stick Eddie Kramer Master tape on it to warm it up a bit, and then Ozone 5 has everything I need to get a track finished. That said I'm only mastering for Soundcloud and not for any sort of commercial release.

Does anyone here ever stack limiters, but push them less to get their music to suitable levels?
NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
opticaloutcast
Minor Glitch
opticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura about
Shanghai
MC Status: 210

I'll put another vote in for Maximus, it's an incredibly powerful tool that can take almost anything and change it from 'meh' to 'awesome!' in just a few clicks. The fact that it's bundled into several versions of FL studio just makes it that much more awesome for it's accessibility/affordability. Ozone looks cool but wow is it expensive.
opticaloutcast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChil10 View Post
Does anyone here ever stack limiters, but push them less to get their music to suitable levels?
I find myself doing that lately. I think Limiter No.6 works with that concept, but I've never checked it out.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
NChil10 (26-02-2016)
Old 26-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436009

Quote:
There's a reason why every professional recording studio uses Waves plugins.

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #14
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4360

Quote:
There's a reason why every professional recording studio uses Waves plugins
what?

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
claaser
Soundscaper
claaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MC
MC Status: 8385220

As an Ableton user...

Live's factory plugins galore, some Ozone, some FabFilter.

I don't feel like I need more but reading this I might give Waves another shot.
claaser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #16
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020976

URS saturation
Elysia alpha
Oxford saturation and limiter
some Sonar's native (EQ, multiband, channels)
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #17
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

Quote:

oh god im sorry but that makes you sound like a cunt
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (09-05-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
lipsticktrash
Learning The Ropes
lipsticktrash will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Im using mainly Ozone, but also Waves c6, aphex exciter, and the trident class A by softube.
lipsticktrash is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #19
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

I bought ozone 7 a few weeks back, love it. The UAD Fairchild is pretty nice as well. Also, FabFilter.

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

TLS Maximizer
Density mk iii
Ferric TDS
Klanghelm IVGI
Loudmax
The Glue
Baxter eq
Tokyo Labs slick eq
Multi band compression
REAEQ

Not in that order or all at once....

Advertisements