November Album Writing Month (NAWM) 2014 - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #81
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts
Re: November Album Writing Month (NAWM) 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awentekr View Post
Life kinda got in the way of mine. I was kinda hoping to have something finished by December the 1st but writers block and life in general fucked that up.
life does generally fuck things up a lot, i wish you good luck.

Advertisements

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
Awentekr (09-12-2014)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #82
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

So I'm bringing back the thread because my NAWM kind of spiraled into some other stuff. It was the catalyst to kick my ass and it did just that. In the midst of November while eating at one of my favorite local restaurants I got a text from a friend asking me if I wanted to do a show with him towards the end of December. I said yes and about the only thing I did in preparation was write/work on tunes trying to get an all hardware set together. I took it town poundtown and got about 22+ minutes of original tunes together and I was ready to DJ the rest of the night. Here's the disaster which ensued.

I called my friend who booked the show and he didn't know what all the venue was going to provide/wanted which was pretty typical. Then I got a call from my friend who books at this restaurant/bar shortly there after saying he wants us on the first floor, which doesn't have a PA but there is one on the 2nd, and what my other friend in mind. The guy who contacted me about the show if from here but now lives out of town and was traveling with only his gear to play with. So it's up to me to piece mail a PA. I get my buddy on the horn and rent his mains on the stipulation that the door is all we got and he'd get a cut. So I get it all together but did I mention that the night before my MPC got turned off in the midst of saving while unplugging my gear? Yeah, so my set is shit and now I'm feverishly fixing all the mistakes in my sequences. It's like 6 hours til it's time to start this shit.

I get it together. My sequences are working, my gear is accounted for, the PA is together, and it's an hour til it should start. I get there to set everything up because 65% of all the equipment is mine. My buddy starts playing his tunes and shit's working. Also it's 9 o'clock and they just started the dinner service. Also, the management didn't know that we were solely electronic cats that would be going all night - the booking/promoting guy failed to mention that initially. I start my set and I'm hearing the PA. My bass is everywhere, percs just aren't popping right, 808's are pounding, and Volca is cutting through the mix like a serrated knife.

Now I've played out as a DJ on some massive systems and none of my tracks sounded remotely as good as some super slammed bullshit. The individual parts were just too raw from the sampler to really sit as well as a mastered mix through the PA. But I made it and some people gave me some props and I'm real appreciative of that - I just wasn't happy for myself.

Well then the manager comes up to tell me they're cutting out at 11, that no one's there, and the night's a bomb. She gives me the door the of so far $70, it's 10 o'clock. Keep in mind that all of my local downtown was overflowing with people checking out the cover bands that were way louder than we were at 10....it would've filled up. Instead I get to break down all this shit. I gave $15 for speaker rental to my friend, $30 to the dude who promoted, planned, set up, and played most of the night, and pocketed $25. Everything was packed back up by 11:40. Total bust.

So since I've started to record/mix/master what I did during this last project and after a little finagling, and I don't mean a lot in that regard, the tracks are starting to stand up how I wanted initially. About the only way the makes sense to me to play these tracks out live on hardware without piles of outboard is to re-sample/re-mix my tunes for live play. That I'd have to make a VIP version to play out so all my parts would actually sit in the mix correctly. But if that's what I've learned, it's been a lot.

Thanks motivation of QAWM. I'll get my tunes together and post them soon but here's something rough. Thanks y'all.

and if this damn player link won't work try this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #83
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

^Bummer dude. Looking forward to the tracks though.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #84
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031591
Thanked 7,283 Times in 4,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
So I'm bringing back the thread because my NAWM kind of spiraled into some other stuff. It was the catalyst to kick my ass and it did just that. In the midst of November while eating at one of my favorite local restaurants I got a text from a friend asking me if I wanted to do a show with him towards the end of December. I said yes and about the only thing I did in preparation was write/work on tunes trying to get an all hardware set together. I took it town poundtown and got about 22+ minutes of original tunes together and I was ready to DJ the rest of the night. Here's the disaster which ensued.

I called my friend who booked the show and he didn't know what all the venue was going to provide/wanted which was pretty typical. Then I got a call from my friend who books at this restaurant/bar shortly there after saying he wants us on the first floor, which doesn't have a PA but there is one on the 2nd, and what my other friend in mind. The guy who contacted me about the show if from here but now lives out of town and was traveling with only his gear to play with. So it's up to me to piece mail a PA. I get my buddy on the horn and rent his mains on the stipulation that the door is all we got and he'd get a cut. So I get it all together but did I mention that the night before my MPC got turned off in the midst of saving while unplugging my gear? Yeah, so my set is shit and now I'm feverishly fixing all the mistakes in my sequences. It's like 6 hours til it's time to start this shit.

I get it together. My sequences are working, my gear is accounted for, the PA is together, and it's an hour til it should start. I get there to set everything up because 65% of all the equipment is mine. My buddy starts playing his tunes and shit's working. Also it's 9 o'clock and they just started the dinner service. Also, the management didn't know that we were solely electronic cats that would be going all night - the booking/promoting guy failed to mention that initially. I start my set and I'm hearing the PA. My bass is everywhere, percs just aren't popping right, 808's are pounding, and Volca is cutting through the mix like a serrated knife.

Now I've played out as a DJ on some massive systems and none of my tracks sounded remotely as good as some super slammed bullshit. The individual parts were just too raw from the sampler to really sit as well as a mastered mix through the PA. But I made it and some people gave me some props and I'm real appreciative of that - I just wasn't happy for myself.

Well then the manager comes up to tell me they're cutting out at 11, that no one's there, and the night's a bomb. She gives me the door the of so far $70, it's 10 o'clock. Keep in mind that all of my local downtown was overflowing with people checking out the cover bands that were way louder than we were at 10....it would've filled up. Instead I get to break down all this shit. I gave $15 for speaker rental to my friend, $30 to the dude who promoted, planned, set up, and played most of the night, and pocketed $25. Everything was packed back up by 11:40. Total bust.

So since I've started to record/mix/master what I did during this last project and after a little finagling, and I don't mean a lot in that regard, the tracks are starting to stand up how I wanted initially. About the only way the makes sense to me to play these tracks out live on hardware without piles of outboard is to re-sample/re-mix my tunes for live play. That I'd have to make a VIP version to play out so all my parts would actually sit in the mix correctly. But if that's what I've learned, it's been a lot.

Thanks motivation of QAWM. I'll get my tunes together and post them soon but here's something rough. Thanks y'all.

and if this damn player link won't work try this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Hey thanks JMagee.
I was just thinking about QAWM yesterday and how badly it had dropped off and whether to continue it this year, and then you dropped this.
I'm really pleased you got inspired to write some new tunes and take them out.
Bummer about your experience. That's the very real side of things that a great many people with dreams of playing live do not ever consider for one second.
Thanks for sharing your experience, it sounds like you got stiffed.
You should have taken the majority of the door deal and asked "the promoter" to pay for the PA hire, especially if you were the guy who managed to rent it for 15 bucks. You sound like a good guy though man.
Keep your chin up. Restaurants can be hard work. We played a Chinese restaurant in LA on Halloween many years ago and the details were similarly sketchy. I thought I'd get into the spirit and play in fancy dress. Unfortunately that meant a lot of hanging around in the restaurant, including eating dinner splashed from head to toe in fake blood. It wasn't much fun. We were the only people in fancy dress and it made me feel like a dick for bothering, very uncomfortable feeling.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #85
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

Yeah, shit got real. But that's life, right?

I'd gotten into the whole hardware thing essentially after never really being satisfied DJing. It's fun and can be super exhilarating but it just leaves some to be desired on my end; when it comes to music I make I'd like to play it for people like I've done with my bass for over a decade now. It's easy - you bring the instrument, you get your game face on, perform, and people typically like it! Done. Now why can't it be like that when I bust out my MPC?

It takes a lot of prep but I did the damn thing. I got through my tunes, most people I talked to thought they were solid, and I didn't catch fire nor piss myself. But personally the tracks just didn't do it for me through the PA. Yeah, there wasn't a dedicated a sub but I was playing through mains with 2 15" speakers + tweeters with another set of mains with a single 15" + tweeters so there's was plenty bass, maybe not enough in the 20-40hz range, but plenty of bass. My basslines were everywhere - raw uncompressed sine waves going crazy note from note. My top end seemed to be all over the place too. I guess to keep the hardware vibe with DAW reliability I could've done what the cat I played with did - run a computer into a MC 909 and use the 909's mastering functions. Straight up. He was playing mastered tracks in Ableton and then tweaking the finished mixes on the 909. Also, I had no room to set up because the other cat had gotten there before me...

All in all the same bullshit I run into anytime I run a show but probably even more bullshit because we were only playing electronic tunes. Plus the venue and me have had issues in the past, the only reason why I agreed is because I didn't set the show up. Lesson learned once again.

Advertisements

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JMagee
lolirl (07-01-2015)