Mixing Techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 30-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
DimSum
Minor Glitch
DimSum will become famous soon enoughDimSum will become famous soon enough
Cyprus
MC Status: 110
Mixing Techniques

Who here mixes as they go and who completes the elements then does the mix down?

I ask to find out different techniques, views and ideas from people

Advertisements

DimSum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969
Re: Mixing Techniques

I have to mix as I go, it is part of the creative process for me...but I do multi-track it out and fine tune the mix at the end as well!
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542180
Thanked 7,025 Times in 4,990 Posts

I only do basic things as I go like shelf EQ to cut out the low end on those sounds that don't need it. I also often start projects with a Slate VTM or U-he Satin on the master. I will also do some basic gain staging as I go, but this is primarily to keep plenty of head room and to avoid hear fatigue.

I try to keep the principles of EQ in mind when choosing/designing/composing so that my sounds fit together before I even start loading EQ vsts.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
Benwaa

i do it as i go, then tweak along the way some more until there's only mixing really left to do, so for me it's a constant ongoing part of making a track
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
DimSum
Minor Glitch
DimSum will become famous soon enoughDimSum will become famous soon enough
Cyprus
MC Status: 110

Nice one guys.. I tend to do the same as its easier and don't have much work to do at the end.
DimSum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts

The thing to remember is that as soon as you're playing two sounds at once, you're mixing. So technically, you are always mixing. During recording, it's not really productive to get surgical. But general rules of thumb should be observed, many of which have been mentioned. The other thing during recording is that if I'm working with talent, I'll be working on a comp mix for their cans which is usually quite different from the control room mix. Vocalists might want less drums and bass, and a bassist might want more drums and less vocals.

Once you get to arranging it's much the same. Even if you're just making level adjustments to give you a ball park of where you want things to sit in the mix. Eg: lower the amplitude on the kick for section x, increase it for section y etc. That gives you a general idea of your dynamics and serves as a guide when you start getting serious about gain staging.

So yeah, mix all the time... That's making music...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
rewir3d (31-07-2014)
Old 31-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

^
Headphone mixes for bands are the fucking worst ...Been a long time since I have done that or worked on a large format console but that was far and away one of the things I dreaded, not because they are hard or anything but because of how picky and upset some of those people get lol
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts

^ Nah they're easy. Whenever I've had to do it, I just get them to plug the cans into the console so they're sitting next to me giving me feedback. And I completely understand people getting emotional in the studio about that stuff. Particularly with vocalists because standing in a booth on your own talking to a voice in your head between takes can make one feel kind of vulnerable.

And that's the other thing too because they're going to have to listen to the same thing over and over again so no matter how precious they're being about it you want to appease them so you can get their best performance.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
SJackson
Banned
SJackson has a spectacular aura aboutSJackson has a spectacular aura aboutSJackson has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Once you get to arranging it's much the same. Even if you're just making level adjustments to give you a ball park of where you want things to sit in the mix. Eg: lower the amplitude on the kick for section x, increase it for section y etc.

Agreed. The arrangement greatly plays into the mix. If a song is arranged correctly, mixing will be easy.
SJackson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
jtapping
Regular Freak
jtapping is currently spamming hard
Paris
MC Status: 10

Constantly mixing in my opinion ... agreed that it really is part of making music.
jtapping is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
anmlsrmnml
Microknight
anmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond reputeanmlsrmnml has a reputation beyond repute
edinburgh
MC Status: 3302

I like to mix the elements as i go along. Thats more the sounds. Like eq and compression and auxes.

But at one time i would take all my faders down to nothing. Turn my main monitor system so peaks at 85dB.

This gives you a lot of headroom. Giving a nice dynamic range

------------------
anmlsrmnml is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
suspension
Microknight
suspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond repute
NYC
MC Status: 2060

I can not stop myself from mixing as I go. I just can't at this point.

Advertisements

------------------
suspension is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote