Cheapest daws?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 24-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon5 Cheapest daws?

Hey guys, what has been the cheapest modest daw u ever built? I am going to be building a freeware daw on a used computer. What's the perspective?

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts
Re: Cheapest daws?

Honestly I feel like paying the 200 bucks for the FL Studio Producer Edition + KVR Audio greatest hits was all I needed when I started out. Other than that Reaper + KVR Audio Greatest Hits.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Nystagmus (24-01-2017)
Old 24-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

what? do people build freeware DAWs?

You'll be effectively competing reaper surely? how could you compete with that?

Could be interesting tho... what kinda features are you looking at including that would be unique to your DAW...? genuinely interested my man....
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
Nystagmus (25-01-2017)
Old 24-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon3 Re: Cheapest daws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyLand INC. View Post
what? do people build freeware DAWs?

You'll be effectively competing reaper surely? how could you compete with that?

Could be interesting tho... what kinda features are you looking at including that would be unique to your DAW...? genuinely interested my man....
well, basically, VST synths and VST effects and MIDI input via a 25 key USB controller and output to some USB speakers... not really anything unique thought.

I've done stuff like this before, only this time I'm going to go try to skip buying VST synths. Last time I was running Reaper on Ubuntu Studio Linux and got to the point of almost running Reaper on Lubuntu Linux. It was very promising until my systems got hacked and my apartment got broken into and my life fell apart for other reasons.

For a really long time I've been running stuff like PhotoFiltre and IrfanView and 7-zip and VLC media player. Ubuntu Studio has some modest video stuff too, but I never much got into that.

I would install Surge and Toxic Biohazard, but due to life circumstances of homelessness I lost my email account and connected licences. So this time I'm just just going to do freewares instead at least for starters. If it works out, I'll buy Reaper though.

I probably won't do much native Linux software though except for video and image stuff (GIMP, etc).

What are your thoughts?

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

If you're after free daws for linux, it looks like Tracktion (I think they're on V5 now), LMMS, or Ardour (might be $1, it wasn't immediately clear to me, but I think it's free on linux). All will support VST.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Nystagmus (25-01-2017)
Old 24-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

What happened to you sucks man.... soz about that....

but Reaper runs in evaluation mode permanently so thats all good id say.... the built in effects are workman like but cool (i actually really like the Reacomp - does sidechaining really well, and some of the JS plugs are cool as well, and you can make music with any vsts really....

If you are gunna make a DAW - i would basically make Reason with VST support, with Pro Tools external hardware implementation and Reaper's routing + its dry/wet knob for any effect/plug in feature (such a great feature that!)
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
Nystagmus (25-01-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Reaper
LMMS
Ardour

Advertisements

PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote