Where do you struggle? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Re: Where do you struggle?

I also struggle with getting a modern sound, probably for similar reasons as MFXxx.
I also struggle just with making momentum on the compositional process.
Yet thankfully, when I do get enough momentum, I tend to be pretty good at getting to about 75-79% of where I want to be musically. It's just so hard to get to that last 25% of music quality though.

Advertisements

Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)
Old 21-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #22
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

My biggest struggle is getting my synth sounds to be organic sounding. Everything always sounds thin and stale. Im looking for that beefy organic tone. Then I'm stuck because i designed the sound and it is printed as apart of the song.
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #23
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837677

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinationsoun View Post
My biggest struggle is getting my synth sounds to be organic sounding. Everything always sounds thin and stale. Im looking for that beefy organic tone. Then I'm stuck because i designed the sound and it is printed as apart of the song.
Try u he's Diva running through Cytomic The Drop with modulation.

Sent from my scrotum using Tapatalk

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
Lotus_Jewel (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #24
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2810

ive been most struggling with, where to take things next... like what king of music do i want to make...?

i really dig so many genres and get into them, spiritually, profoundly, idk how to say,

i need to pick one genre at a time, for the album... i suppose. i want to make so many types, how do you decide?

------------------
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
Daggit (03-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #25
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold

Equalization for me , i dont rly have a studio and getting rid of unnecessary frequencies is a fking nightmare without a soundproofed room...I waste too much time on that process..
Comparing my tracks to mainstream music is rly helpful tho... and listening to the same track in different places helps too.. but overall for being a 3 month old producer i think im doing good.

Peace
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to LDKitz
Lotus_Jewel (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDKitz View Post
Equalization for me , i dont rly have a studio and getting rid of unnecessary frequencies is a fking nightmare without a soundproofed room...I waste too much time on that process..
Comparing my tracks to mainstream music is rly helpful tho... and listening to the same track in different places helps too.. but overall for being a 3 month old producer i think im doing good.

Peace
why not put some treatment in your room? i could help turn you into good direction in regards for resources for the diy stuff... just shoot me a pm or something if you want.

once you get your room somewhat situated you can hear better and not fight it so much. its hard to get rid of 40 hz standing waves but you can help control it. and create yourself the best listening position possible for your room size.

if you shoot me a pm include your room dimension and the monitors you have, describe its shape, etc. and if you can squeeze 80 bucks to start.

------------------
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
LDKitz (02-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #27
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Icon7 Re: Where do you struggle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Jewel View Post
i need to pick one genre at a time, for the album... i suppose. i want to make so many types, how do you decide?
Some of the best albums I've ever heard combined several different genres. I think albums are BETTER that way. Keep it interesting and surprising--no need to homogenize with genre-matching.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Thanks to Daggit
Lotus_Jewel (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 AM   #28
Kyle_Liebau
IDMf's latest spammer
Kyle_Liebau will become famous soon enoughKyle_Liebau will become famous soon enough
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
MC Status: 110

I seem to struggle with repetition in my tracks let alone finding creative ways to make it more interesting, it is really that much harder for me to do than the mixing and mastering I feel.
Kyle_Liebau is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kyle_Liebau
Lotus_Jewel (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 AM   #29
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Liebau View Post
I seem to struggle with repetition in my tracks let alone finding creative ways to make it more interesting, it is really that much harder for me to do than the mixing and mastering I feel.
i hear ya. im tryin to learn to use arpeggios and that note or chord player in reason, which is helpful. also, i dl'd some videos off youtube on how to play piano, just three basic vids on chords. this way i can learn the inversions and add them in too.

------------------
Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
beautifulhurl
Regular Freak
beautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the rough
Baltimore
MC Status: 260

I'd say the thing I struggle with most happens just after a track is done: sharing / advertising.

While I do have some marketing sense, I really don't get a lot of enjoyment from working on exposure, I'd rather just focus on the content.

I know that I need to simply sit down and develop a methodology for this sort of thing (like developing a list of blogs to share content with), but I have so many ideas about tracks that I struggle to find the time (and desire) to really dig in and make this happen.

Instead of teasing a track or posting daily about "upcoming tracks!11", I'd much rather post the song on SoundCloud, share it to my Facebook, and get back to working on content, but I know that's not going to be very productive in the end.
beautifulhurl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold

Yeah i do struggle on advertising and i think thats for everybody .. we producers or musicians only want to dedicate ourselves and our time to the music , but advertising is as important as the product itself.

Last edited by LDKitz; 03-08-2017 at 02:53 PM..
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to LDKitz
Lotus_Jewel (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #32
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Icon13 Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDKitz View Post
Yeah i do struggle on advertising and i think thats for everybody .. we producers or musicians only want to dedicate ourselves and our time to the music , but advertising is as important as the product itself.
Back in the days when I was on SoundClick (as Deathless Dodecagon) I often got into the top 20 tunes on certain subgenres. But to be honest, I know that alot of it was from the marketing, because I'd advertise at about 20 different audio forums and with my online friends. When I stopped doing that, I still had great tunes and some even better, but I stopped chart-topping.

These days I don't even advertise anymore. And then of course, SoundCloud screwed us over when they dropped the Social Groups function. That was the dumbest thing they coulda done because that was the best function of SoundCloud short of supporting a lot of audio file formats.

------------------
Thanks to Daggit
Lotus_Jewel (04-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #33
sefrcoko
Regular Freak
sefrcoko will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Try u he's Diva running through Cytomic The Drop with modulation.

Sent from my scrotum using Tapatalk
Good suggestion, I should try that too . The Legend is a good one for authenticity as well.
sefrcoko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to sefrcoko
Lotus_Jewel (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #34
beautifulhurl
Regular Freak
beautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the rough
Baltimore
MC Status: 260
Re: Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
And then of course, SoundCloud screwed us over when they dropped the Social Groups function. That was the dumbest thing they coulda done because that was the best function of SoundCloud short of supporting a lot of audio file formats.
oh god, i had forgotten all about groups on soundcloud. have any of you moved over to hearthis.at? i'm curious if there's much of an IDM crowd there.
beautifulhurl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to beautifulhurl
Lotus_Jewel (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 AM   #35
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21460

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulhurl View Post
oh god, i had forgotten all about groups on soundcloud. have any of you moved over to hearthis.at? i'm curious if there's much of an IDM crowd there.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:35 AM   #36
Daggit
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulhurl View Post
Yeah I totally moved over. All the way.
But I don't know how to use the groups at HearThisAt, though... cry.

------------------
Old 25-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #37
Ruuksine
Regular Freak
Ruuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura about
Melbourne
MC Status: 210

I'm finding of late I'm struggling with being patient when creating a song.

But I've only kind of just realized it, and noticed it's why I get frustrated when I've been working at a particular song for too long.
Normally when I write songs, it's a case of getting the whole thing smashed out in a few hours, if I take too long on any one element of the song I get frustrated, and after hearing a sound I've created that initially I loved, played over and over and over, I fall out of love with it and lose momentum and feel uninspired.

In short I've got to develop a better strategy at spending more time writing a song without becoming desensitized to it or self-criticize-shotgunning it in a few hours
Ruuksine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #38
sas
IDMf's latest spammer
sas is currently spamming hard
Bucharest
MC Status: 10

Mastering.. I struggle with the finishing touches because I want to do everything by myself (including the promo part).
Also, I am very indecisive when it comes to sending demos. I don't want to send anything that's less than perfect.
sas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #39
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21460

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Production speed. In the past few months, I've finally gotten to the point where I can hear something in my head, hold it there for 15 minutes or so while I get to my computer and put it in my daw, then catalog it to finish later. "Later" being a list that runs about a year long now, with new songs still coming down the line every few weeks.
I think I may have solved this, and I wanted to come back and explain how and see if I could figure out where I should focus my attention next.

I ended up subbing to 4 compilations/competitions/things with deadlines over the past few months, and have a fifth almost done, with a sixth getting started. I'm eying a seventh project too! Thankfully, those will all be due next month or later. On top of that, I've put out two songs (one in July and one last week) as their own releases. So I have six tracks done in about as many weeks of working on music since that post (I was on vacation for one week in there) and at about that rate too!

Some stuff has just clicked for me recently that has helped me work faster. I know what effects I want to use and have a pretty good idea of what settings they need for the sound in mind before I even get to the computer. I've come to grips with my drum machines and a few of my synths as well, again, knowing what needs to be set up in what way to get the sound I want. That leaves me a little more time to experiment and try new stuff as I work, but the deadlines keep me focused on putting out a competent track at least, if not a revolutionary masterpiece that pushes the limits of my skills (though I did get to put one of those out in that bunch ).

I've also learned not to fight the intent I first have with a project. I was trying to push everything into danceable 4 on the floor rhythms for a while there, and it really made making anything that wasn't a dance track a slog because I was just fighting what the song wanted to do the whole way. I got some neat tracks out of it, but they took awhile to do. These days, if my track wants to be an ambient piece, I make it ambient. It saves me from re-writes and throwing out half-finished projects after months of my spare time to start over because the track isn't working.

I suppose next, I want to work on songwriting from the start to have my tracks end up in the genre I want, rather than making whatever I happen to come up with.

Advertisements

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote