How many of us work in IT - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts
Re: How many of us work in IT

I work for a web company doing regular freelance writing and I have to teach my students how to use Microsoft word, email, ...basically anything that isn't a social media app. Does any of that count? Lol

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
PROton42 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #22
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I have to teach my students how to use Microsoft word, email, ...basically anything that isn't a social media app.
This is fuckin' terrifying.

This really is the bad timeline alternate cyberpunk future.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: tell 'em steve-dave
Old 10-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #23
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
This is fuckin' terrifying.

This really is the bad timeline alternate cyberpunk future.
Well. The email thing I kinda get. I mean honestly, I rarely use email to communicate with anyone electronically. Mostly just at work. The bulk of it is text or direct message over a social media platform (mostly facebook for me).

But the truthy truth is--these kids are simply not the super users some thinkers/writers/intellectuals claim they are. They are either incredibly lazy or they have no skills in regards to what to trust on the internet as related to research, because they use garbage for sources on the regular. Either click bait articles or encyclopedic stuff like WebMD. Its bad enough I don't even take off that many points for them using something like a HuffPost article, which lets be honest, isn't really prime research material even for a casual perssausive essay.

I wowed no fewer than a dozen students this week in conferences by showing them the "site:" search on Google.

I liken their relationship with digital media and mobile devices to mine with my car--I can change the wipers and lights, I can keep the tires properly inflated, I know to keep the oil changed, but have to pay someone to do it. I can drive the thing, but shit they let almost everyone do that....
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
PROton42 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I liken their relationship with digital media and mobile devices to mine with my car--I can change the wipers and lights, I can keep the tires properly inflated, I know to keep the oil changed, but have to pay someone to do it. I can drive the thing, but shit they let almost everyone do that....
I think that's incredibly close to what IT does, on a different scale. IT departments exist almost exclusively to support professional and trained people to do their very specific jobs. Imagine hiring accountants and in every one of their job descriptions includes being able to spec and put together computers to run Quickbooks and being able to install and admin the server component of that software. Or requiring every doctor in a hospital to be able to upgrade the firmware on an MRI machine. Accountants and doctors aren't stupid people, but their talents lay elsewhere, and IT exists to let them do their jobs more effectively. That seems very similar to you and your students.

An interesting side effect of this is that IT is almost always disliked by upper management in corporations and it's usually under the purview of the CFO. Because on paper it makes no money, it just allows other people to make money more effectively, while looking like a massive expense (much larger than other departments that DO make money for the company). The CFO is the only person on the corporate ladder willing and able to sign off on the huge financial black hole that is IT. Yes, it's necessary to keep everything running smoothly but it's a constant need for justifying the expense and continued existence.

Advertisements

Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (10-03-2017)