Channel rack is such a mess in Flstudio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 18-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
michellabruyere
Minor Glitch
michellabruyere will become famous soon enoughmichellabruyere will become famous soon enough
Antwerp
MC Status: 110
Channel rack is such a mess in Flstudio

Clickbait! (Sorry)

How come my channel rack is always such a mess after some time. It would save me so much time to sort it straight away instead of when it's mixing time.

I cant be the only one. How do you guys sort things out? I guess I just build a song as I go.

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Advertisements

michellabruyere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39260
Re: Channel rack is such a mess in Flstudio

Subscribing and bumping. This is the biggest deal-breaker about FL Studio for me

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537930
Thanked 6,940 Times in 4,939 Posts

I wish they would make the step sequencer a legacy feature already. TBH though, it doesn't get in my way TOO much and it is my first step in gain staging. I almost exclusively turn all the channels down there to about 50%

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
michellabruyere
Minor Glitch
michellabruyere will become famous soon enoughmichellabruyere will become famous soon enough
Antwerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I wish they would make the step sequencer a legacy feature already. TBH though, it doesn't get in my way TOO much and it is my first step in gain staging. I almost exclusively turn all the channels down there to about 50%
Noob talking here: but what is a legacy feature? And: indeed, it gives a good first step in panning and volume.

Old 18-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8310

Legacy feature = Old and largely useless.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
relic (18-05-2017)
Old 18-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537930
Thanked 6,940 Times in 4,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
Legacy feature = Old and largely useless.
Haha. YES.

But it is usually also something that isn't made available by default in a new version when it was previously available by default.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

i dont use the channel rack at all in fl i mix usein g just the faders and put everything in there own sections
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

If you are talking about moving the individual channels up and down to make things look cleaner, you have to select the channel (make sure the little light at the right side is green) and press ALT+Up or ALT+Down to move it in the direction you want it to go.

I usually sort things very early on, as I go along making the track. I give each channel a name, colour code it, and group them according to their instrument type (Drum, Lead, Synth, Bass, FX, etc). It is a bit tedious but really helps me out in the long run. I started doing this because when I go to an older project that's unsorted, it just looks like a fucking mess.

I do agree FL's overall interface is really messy. Looking around other DAWs, theirs look so sleek and clean. I would like to get a change of pace and get a new DAW but I've pretty much use FL since I was a teen, and new software and such is expensive. I'd rather invest in high quality VSTs, which are actually important.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 03:08 AM   #9
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21010

I have an arrangement of windows that really works for me, I like being able to see everything at once. I leave the channel rack alone by and large, but being able to glance over at patterns and flip between (+ and - by default as long as you don't have a third party vst selected) them to see how they fit into my song, what role they play, is huge. I can also see what automation clips are active quickly. I only tend to use a half dozen instruments in a song though, so I could see being bothered with it if I actually had to scroll. Sometimes I use enough automation clips that I can't see everything, and that can indeed be problematic.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 04:42 AM   #10
michellabruyere
Minor Glitch
Antwerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukami Music View Post
If you are talking about moving the individual channels up and down to make things look cleaner, you have to select the channel (make sure the little light at the right side is green) and press ALT+Up or ALT+Down to move it in the direction you want it to go.

I usually sort things very early on, as I go along making the track. I give each channel a name, colour code it, and group them according to their instrument type (Drum, Lead, Synth, Bass, FX, etc). It is a bit tedious but really helps me out in the long run. I started doing this because when I go to an older project that's unsorted, it just looks like a fucking mess.

I do agree FL's overall interface is really messy. Looking around other DAWs, theirs look so sleek and clean. I would like to get a change of pace and get a new DAW but I've pretty much use FL since I was a teen, and new software and such is expensive. I'd rather invest in high quality VSTs, which are actually important.
You're right! Unless you start sorting out from the beginning you start losing overview. Which causes a lot of work later on.

Any ideas of finding unused patterns or channels quickly? (Old ideas but never used again)

Old 19-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC

Well, that's where the organization helps :p Like I said, I name each channel. I usually name it something goofy like "Slick Squarewave". In the pattern, I specify which instrument is in which pattern, and I even specify every individual role each pattern has on the overall (ie; SLICK SQUARE - Verse_Pattern01). Down in the playlist, I write down which instrument is going to be in which row.

So, I would look at my channel rack, and if I see and instrument that I don't remember using, I can double check in both the playlist and the pattern to see if I've ever used it on the track. If it's not there, then it's byebye for that channel.

This is what a typical project looks like to me:

You know, I never really thought about how complicated this whole system is...

------------------
Old 19-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69885319

Select the parts you want to tidy up, group the channels and name the group. Now your 'unsorted' group will be cleaner.

I like having the three volume and pan controls so readily available, and the more knobs that are controllable the better. I still use some legacy features built into the sampler, and I still use the grid (and occasionally the old blocks) in the playlist editor.

I still use the step sequencer a lot. Making it legacy? Fine, as long as all its functions are retained. If they could move the swing control into the piano roll while keeping it a 'live' controllable-in-real-time feature (rather than a tool/edit process), and keep everything in the 'misc' tab intact, I'd no doubt use the step sequencer a lot less. Man, if there was a master swing as well as individual swings per piano roll, and the ability to turn master swing on/off per channel, I'd be in funk heaven.

The absolute best aspect of FLS (imho) is the ability to right click link and control EVERYTHING (almost) in ways that are nigh impossible in grown up 'proper' DAWs like PT and Cubase. So with relative ease you can have the dynamics of one channel affecting literally any controllable aspect of another, group everything (or a selection of everything) to formula control, have the formula control aspects of the dynamic response of one thing which can control aspects of the formula controller, etc, etc. Proper self controlling feedback. You could probably simulate a Turing machine within FLS if you knew what you were doing.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
Narukami Music (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I miss in FL is Edison. I do like the clip edit features in Live, but Edison had some stuff that was just brilliant.

------------------

Old 19-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO

^ You can actually control individual swings! Well, to an extent. In the Fruity Wrapper, head to the "Miscellaneous Functions" tab (the one with the spanner symbol), and find the "Time" section. There, you can adjust the swing amount. You can decrease the amount of swing you want but you can't increase it.

But yeah, the group function is a great way to tidy things up, actually. I should start using it. I agree that the ability to control every function is great. You can really design and make some super intricate stuff, especially when you get into the nitty gritty. Don't think I'm patient enough to do those things though

------------------
Old 19-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69885319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukami Music View Post
^ You can actually control individual swings! Well, to an extent. In the Fruity Wrapper, head to the "Miscellaneous Functions" tab (the one with the spanner symbol), and find the "Time" section. There, you can adjust the swing amount. You can decrease the amount of swing you want but you can't increase it....
I think I'm a few versions behind or something because I don't even have a misc tab in my wrapper. I only tend to update a DAW once it becomes very badly obsolete. 11.1.1 works fine.

Doesn't sound like the misc swing could be controlled in real time anyway, which is what I'd want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe
The only thing I miss in FL is Edison. I do like the clip edit features in Live, but Edison had some stuff that was just brilliant.
Edison is just okay, but I prefer Soundforge for editing. Edison has a rather cool blur tool, and it's fine for simple trimming and whatnot, but I've never felt at home/in control working in it.

I'm jealous of how Live loads instruments and effects without breaking the audio, and I love the resonator effect... I'm just not that fond of anything else about it though. It does not suit my work flow or the way I compose.

FLS seems like a mess, I guess, but I've been using since version ...3? It seems perfectly natural to have everything built around a largely redundant step sequencer!

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #16
Unckol
Learning The Ropes
Unckol is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
I think I'm a few versions behind or something because I don't even have a misc tab in my wrapper. I only tend to update a DAW once it becomes very badly obsolete. 11.1.1 works fine.
I'm actually the same way lol. I'm still using FL 11, since FL 12 changed a few things around and I was not a fan.

Channel rack can be a mess. When it's the best for me is when I use filter groups. Filter groups have made the whole channel rack experience bearable.
Unckol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #17
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
it is available as a standalone vst youknow
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Bipolar Joe (22-05-2017)
Old 22-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #18
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

I did not know that

Advertisements

------------------