What is IDM today? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #21
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110500
Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,417 Posts
Re: What is IDM today?

I remember when I had a dj friend try to sell me on IDM in the late 90s early 2000s. I was like fuck this, this is terrible. We spend the rest of the weekend listening to Booty House.

Face down ass up
Face down ass up
Face down ass up
Face down ass up
Thats the way we like to fuck!

Muthafuckas!

Also I just rubbed my eye and I had antifreeze on my finger, I hope I don't go blind.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #22
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1842727

To sum up the following if you dont want to read the crap

Quote:
"without IDM Forum I would probably still be wasting away my time, money and self without a true channel to create sound."

IDM Forum wise it's the only one bar one other (since closed as the guy hosting unfortunately passed on), that I've found in near on 20 years where people actually talk. It's interesting seeing so many different members in different little corners of the forum, are we all one for our comfort zones. Hobbied away in our studios where IDM is our lifeline or in my case escapism and outlet for some head twisting music production Personally I see IDM more over electronic music, not exclusively dance. But again it's where you channel yourself as a member I guess.

As far as IDM music scene goes...fuck knows. Last club I went to was over 10 years ago. Started on the music (club) scene 20 years before that...so I've had the great experiences of non commercial raves, underground parties, clubbing with doves, buddhas and pretty much everything else before all the clone chemical derivatives started showing up. Today there's too much loudness...in the sense of how much pressure can be asserted on the eardrums rather than clear loud volume!

Im always impressed and enthusiastic how technology has changed and the techniques involved.
Trying to make music on a very limited budget, little know how (internet wasn't general populus then), relying on magazines, word or mouth and your music store to (mis-)guide you to the next essential bit of gear.

I love the overkill of what an average bod can do on a limited budget with a decent PC, soundcard, software and knowledge. Fek Im still learning 25 years on, whilst I should imagine many wonder why I bother (see soundcloud link for my efforts), I love the experience of making my own music. Maybe Im just narcisitc.

However, this forum has pushed me and (if you know me), Im pretty heavy in the Beat Battle forums and have tried a few subs on the IDM contests etc. Since falling into the IDM forums I can say I've produced more tracks of a higher standard (all be that relatively low), in the last several years of being a member here than I have in the last 25.

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #23
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31910

*unzips pants* is this circle jerk going clockwise or counter clockwise (cockwise?)?

But srsly folks. I've said this before, but to me IDM is just a very specific genre that spanned late 90's to early 2000's and it's not really being made anymore. There are a very few people making, but not many.

As a jazz musician I see parallels. Like, there are very distinct periods that occurred throughout the development of jazz. So nowadays, you have people who are trying to recreate those snapshots in the history of jazz. That's very unappealing to me. Sure I will incorporate elements of them into my stuff (inadvertently mostly), but I got into this game to create things.

You see this in all genres. People trying to recapture "the good ol days". There's nothing wrong with that I supposed but it doesn't do much for me. I'd rather hear something that is rough sounding but has an element of individuality rather than the most polished "americana" song every performed. But that's just personal preference I suppose.

So yea, IDM is in the past for me, I don't worry about what to call my music. But I reckon it does kind of represent an state of mind that is pretty cool, as others are hinting at.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 AM   #24
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

^I think most of us agree with you? : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #25
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200060
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
^I think most of us agree with you? : )

About his music..or that jazz is IDM?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Parricide (14-01-2017)
Old 19-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #26
Neuralsphere
Sample Destroyer
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
In a house
MC Status: 9910

IDM is a journey for intelligent dedicated musicians.

or

Might have something to do with bloops... :problemofficer:

------------------
Soundcloud|DEADSPACE|How Do Music|Amen Brother|BEAT BATTLE
JOIN LE CHAT: >How Do Music< >IDMf<WARNING! DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #27
Neuralsphere
Sample Destroyer
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
In a house
MC Status: 9910

Also this...

Advertisements

------------------
Soundcloud|DEADSPACE|How Do Music|Amen Brother|BEAT BATTLE
JOIN LE CHAT: >How Do Music< >IDMf<WARNING! DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote