Drone ambient chords technique - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 26-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5745493
Re: Drone ambient chords technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
It's a high-end sequencer specifically designed for ambient. Just look at the feature list!

And think about how good polyphony you can get combining it with that Ableton Push thing once it comes out.
I'm affraid I'd go too hard to use it on something like that. Maybe test it out on something cheaper first.

Advertisements

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
reze
Learning The Ropes
reze is currently spamming hard
sydney
MC Status: 10

i think the holes in the AS-606 will provide the 'air' you need in your drone projects.hehe-Can i suggest Paul's extreme stretch- for creating super time stretched textures..
reze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
muir
Learning The Ropes
muir is currently spamming hard

There are lots of amazing freeware devoted to drone-like sound design out there (and apparently a "lost golden age of sound design" of free OS9 sound design programs according to BT).

Check out "Soundhack". Open an audio file and choose "convolve" from the hack menu. Select another audio file to convolve it with and you can get some seriously amazing ambient drone results!!

Also a favorite of mine for crafting drones is the free suite of AU plugins made by Michael Norris "Soundmagic Spectral". Definitely worth checking out.
muir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Budlust
Analog Lurker
Budlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by muir View Post
There are lots of amazing freeware devoted to drone-like sound design out there (and apparently a "lost golden age of sound design" of free OS9 sound design programs according to BT).

Check out "Soundhack". Open an audio file and choose "convolve" from the hack menu. Select another audio file to convolve it with and you can get some seriously amazing ambient drone results!!

Also a favorite of mine for crafting drones is the free suite of AU plugins made by Michael Norris "Soundmagic Spectral". Definitely worth checking out.
Thanks a lot man! these could be a really big help
Budlust is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
AmbientAnon
Minor Glitch
AmbientAnon is currently spamming hard
Manchester

I'm yet to make anything that would be considered drone, I think it is very easy to add to much. I've used a program called paulstretch for stretching samples to ridiculous lengths which might be helpful - its easy to find via google

Favorite drone - Oophoi - Spirals of Time.
AmbientAnon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
widmerpool
Regular Freak
widmerpool is currently spamming hard

Soundmagic Spectral + Valhalla DSP and you can make anything into drones.
widmerpool is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Monolake
Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
greatestforces
Minor Glitch
greatestforces is currently spamming hard

Who's into Reaktor here? There's a new plug-in on the upgrade which is pretty mucg a drone machine thing that is sample-based, it has some nice sounds but then again it's good to tweak it or replace the sample for a unique magic sound
greatestforces is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #28
Bart Schiffer
Granular Poster
Bart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MCBart Schiffer is a savage MC
Amsterdam
MC Status: 158904

A bagpipe is a drone instrument. There is also the tambura [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and many more that are labled "drone instruments"

------------------
Bart Schiffer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
Bell's Worth
Minor Glitch
Bell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

You'd be amazed what simply chaining reverbs can do to a sound...
Bell's Worth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #30
IKno
Learning The Ropes
IKno is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell's Worth View Post
You'd be amazed what simply chaining reverbs can do to a sound...
would you mind explaining further??? that sound very interesting
IKno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
mrsouth
Analog Lurker
mrsouth has a spectacular aura aboutmrsouth has a spectacular aura about
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 160

Combining reverbs and delays yeilds some interesting results as well.
mrsouth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
Order in Chaos
Minor Glitch
Order in Chaos is currently spamming hard
Louisiana

Being a guitar player first and foremost, I like to use my guitar for drone chords. I use my delay pedal (Strymon Timeline) combined with a boss RV-5 reverb pedal to create the pads sounds.

Here's the pedal chain and pedal settings I use. This is by no means the only way to do it though.

Pedal chain = guitar -- volume pedal -- Timeline -- RV-5 -- amp / audio interface

Timeline Settings:
Type knob = dTape. (this gives the sound a nice warble)
Time knob = 6 O'clock.
Repeats knob = 3 O'clock.
Mix knob = 4 O'clock.
Filter & Grit knobs = set all the way to the left.
Speed & Depth knobs = set to taste. (this is the amount and speed of the tape warble)

RV-5 Settings:
Mode knob = "modulation"
E. level knob = 4 O'clock.
Tone knob = 9 O'clock.
Time knob = 5 O'clock.

I use my volume pedal to swell in the note / chord that I want and then volume down whenever I feel like and let the delay and reverb trail out. Sometimes I will also hold down the delay button on my Timeline pedal. This will hold the delay out a create a swelling effect on that single note / chord. Then when I let off the button the delays will trail out nicely.

Once I have the sound recorded the way I like, I will edit it in Abelton accordingly...adding more reverb and delay and whatever else I feel like doing to it.

Hope this helps someone. =)
Daniel
Order in Chaos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: The M Machine
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
BigBenBustsBars
Regular Freak
BigBenBustsBars has a spectacular aura aboutBigBenBustsBars has a spectacular aura about
Denver, CO
MC Status: 160

Intervals are great, in my opinion.

I think I most prefer a method another poster mentioned, taking samples(I have a field recorder, which is great for this), and time-stretching it to oblivion. I made the background for a sweet song doing this with a sample of some birds chirping in the morning for like 15 seconds while I was walking to work.

Another favorite method is just getting something dissonant, whether it's a 2nd interval on my uKorg(or otherwise), or using some sort of pitching effect and messing with cents of difference(not semitonal).

I think in all cases it's about what you do with the FX.

I may mess with chords, but if I do it's probably when I'm mangling the output of my uKorg, which will have the release all the way up, kind of just jam these out so idk how to describe the chordal quality, sorry.

Single notes work too, but I think in these cases more careful attention to excellent FXing will be in order.
BigBenBustsBars is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns

I thought a drone was a matter of keeping the root/bass the same right through a piece of music? I'm pretty sure it really is that simple? The trick is what to do with the melody!
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #35
synthsandjunk
Regular Freak
synthsandjunk is currently spamming hard

This has been very informative and interesting.
synthsandjunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #36
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
As a few people mentioned already, you can't beat the As-606
Just add some effects and tweak away.
I'd like to see a live performance of someone using an AS-606! Could be pretty interesting i think... especially the reaction from the audience. :problemofficer:

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: http://soundcloud.com/w-p-2/ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree
Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
I thought a drone was a matter of keeping the root/bass the same right through a piece of music? I'm pretty sure it really is that simple? The trick is what to do with the melody!
No that's not really true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyt View Post
technically in music a drone is any sound that plays continuously. that is the only criteria for a sound to drone, lasting a long time with little to no major change to the sound.
Pretty much this ^

"In music, a drone is a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a note or chord is continuously sounded throughout most or all of a piece. The word drone is also used to refer to any part of a musical instrument that is just used to produce such an effect." ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns

LOL

Last edited by GKM; 12-09-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Advertisements

GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Death Grips - Stockton