Live Ambient Performance/Ambient Improvisation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 20-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
jakerobert
Radial Developer
jakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MC
MC Status: 182906
Live Ambient Performance/Ambient Improvisation

Hey all, I'm curious as to how many of you perform ambient music live and what your setups are like.
I've been having considerable success with my current live setup, which is launchpad-->laptop running an ableton set full of midi clips (with a good deal of randomisation involved)-midi out to->Juno 106--> ehx cathedral reverb-->amp/pa/whatever. I launch clips, manipulate patches on the Juno, and turn knobs on the reverb to perform. I'm pretty shoegaze influenced so I like to get loud and mix some noisiness in. It's a very workable setup imo. Anyway, how do you guys do it?

Advertisements

jakerobert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
mntnhd
Minor Glitch
mntnhd is currently spamming hard
Massachusetts
MC Status: 11
Re: Live Ambient Performance/Ambient Improvisation

Right now I'm working on setting up my own live rig. So far, I'm somewhat at a loss of what controller to use. However, I'm running a MacBook Pro through an M-Audio Firewire 410. I've got a Korg microKONTROL and AKAI MPD32 for controllers. I'm thinking about picking up either a Monome or Launchpad for some added flexibility, as I'm not much of a keyboard player.

Other than that, I've wanted to implement some more live stuff into it, using contact mics and other kinds of things I don't have yet. The problem is, in my area, there's basically no room for these kinds of shows, so I'm beat!
mntnhd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Intrepid
Intrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MC
MC Status: 833682

Just wanted to subscribe here... I bet there'll be some awesome ideas posted

And... I'm trying to get together a live set up for the same thing.. but I haven't put much effort into it yet..

------------------
Intrepid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
trench
Master of the LFO
trench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MC
west midlands
MC Status: 1105309

I've recently completed my 1st live outing as an ambient artist. (can be found on litening booth)

All i used was Omnisphere (custom patches),Korg micro sampler ,pre loaded with samples and sequences,an excellent tool bt i'm still coming to grips with it.
A gibson les paul through a boss looper.
All routed through my tascam 2488 NEO multitrack which also has some pre recorded sound.

an interesting night .......but i've still got a long way to go !

------------------
IF THERE IS NO GOD.....................THEN WHY ARE WE WHISPERING ?

https://soundcloud.com/trench-2/if-t...-we-whispering i am the senior citize:problemofficer:n of sound
trench is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Energostatic
Learning The Ropes
Energostatic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Hey all,
I think I gonna add couple words here.

First of all, people saying they do 'live' standing in front of crowd, paramountly gazing in their mac laptops, tweaking their midi controllers is not that cool. Ofc, there is some room for improvisation, but it's like entry level, elementary staging.

And consider when performance involves no pc\macs, various new or retro samplers/synths/drummachines with loads of effect processors, together with tv sets, unique ethno instruments or just playing on different ordinary objects, obtaining various sounds and more live-creating then recreating of your homework. Certainly you will have some preparations, but compare yourself to a guitar player for example, who arranged everything at home and at a club he just launches the proper loops.

All I'm saying 'live' should be visual, emotional, dynamic and passionate.

Also, some friends of mine benefit such devices

Electron Octatrack
Elektron Machine drum
M-Audio trigger finger as well as other budget stuff

Novation Nocturn
Energostatic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
trench
Master of the LFO
trench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MC
west midlands

Don't quite understand what your trying to say here.
The set i put on was totally unprepared ,i only had a few hours to set up ,switch on and go.
It will never be repeated because i have deleted all samples from the korg.

also ,the majority of the audience found it extremely emotional.........as did i in several places.

------------------

https://soundcloud.com/trench-2/if-t...-we-whispering i am the senior citize:problemofficer:n of sound
Old 23-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
mntnhd
Minor Glitch
Massachusetts

As great as all of that may be, I don't think many people are really needing that kind of stimulation. Especially at say, an experimental type show. Whatever you bring to the table (hehe) is ultimately not going to determine whether or not people enjoy you.

If you really want to get down to it, the majority of people can't tell the difference between a MIDI controller or a Moog, the only people who'd really benefit in that type of situation are other musicians--the only people that'd take a profound interest in what it is you're using.

All of this is moot anyway, short version? Use whatever you want, who cares?
Old 23-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
trench
Master of the LFO
west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnhd View Post
As great as all of that may be, I don't think many people are really needing that kind of stimulation. Especially at say, an experimental type show. Whatever you bring to the table (hehe) is ultimately not going to determine whether or not people enjoy you.

If you really want to get down to it, the majority of people can't tell the difference between a MIDI controller or a Moog, the only people who'd really benefit in that type of situation are other musicians--the only people that'd take a profound interest in what it is you're using.

All of this is moot anyway, short version? Use whatever you want, who cares?
I think thats what i wanted to say but couldn't get my words out ?

------------------

Old 23-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
mntnhd
Minor Glitch
Massachusetts

Believe me, I'm all for hamming it up for the sake of putting on a good show, but I just don't feel like that's what electronic music of this nature really needs.

If the venue wants to gimme a light show or ask me to provide my own, I will, without a hesitation.

But to see some guy swaying back and forth, be it over a controller, laptop or modular synth just seems a little too...hair metal.
Old 23-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
jakerobert
Radial Developer
jakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnhd View Post
But to see some guy swaying back and forth, be it over a controller, laptop or modular synth just seems a little too...hair metal.
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAah

I support use of traditional live instruments, midi controllers, whatever. As electronic musicians we should be open to whatever performance techniques others want to employ. it's not about what you use, but what you do with it.
Old 23-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
mntnhd
Minor Glitch
Massachusetts

Exactly. When I saw Fennesz live a few years ago, all he had was an interface, a mixer, guitar and Line 6 Pod.

Guarantee you that I will be remembering that show for the rest of my life. I spent about five second worrying about his gear and the rest spoke for itself. Heck, I even got pictures!

Old 24-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
jiffington
Minor Glitch
jiffington is currently spamming hard

nice picture
jiffington is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #13
CCtrl
CCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MC
MC Status: 5154519

Max/MSP + knobs
CCtrl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #14
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

I usually have a few backing tracks on my lap top. I run that, a Nord Lead, Alesis Micron, Alesis QS6.2, and Roland Gaia into my Mackie Mixer. I then use my Boss GX-700 and Korg Kaos Pad 3 to manipulate and sample stuff.

This Sunday I'm playing with IG88, and I'll be joined by a guitarist.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Anshuman
Learning The Ropes
Anshuman is currently spamming hard

We are combine BOSS ME-50 guitar processor, guitar and BOSS Delay pedal with vocals, and music minus for a ambient live performance. planned to use a mobile phone via delay.
Anshuman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
Anshuman
Learning The Ropes
Anshuman is currently spamming hard

It's very good combination =)
Anshuman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
jakerobert
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshuman View Post
planned to use a mobile phone via delay.
what?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
jakerobert IS the drug
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Energostatic
Learning The Ropes
Energostatic is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshuman View Post
We are combine BOSS ME-50 guitar processor, guitar and BOSS Delay pedal with vocals, and music minus for a ambient live performance. planned to use a mobile phone via delay.
good one, enjoy the gig.
Energostatic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Okay, so I want to add a little something to my live set. ATM I'm using the obligatory macbook, running ableton and m4l, controlled by a launchpad and a nocturn knob-box. I just want some opinions on whether adding a guitar and some pedals and messing with lives looper would be a good idea considering I'm not exactly a great guitar player. I play guitar a lot on my tracks but it's generally so heavily processed you cant even tell its a guitar. I just think if I played it live people would be able to tell how much I suck and it would be off putting haha.

tldr; Should I play some guitar live even though I'm shit?
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
jakerobert
Radial Developer

i say yeah, who cares. people don't come to ambient shows to hear shredding.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
jakerobert IS the drug