IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - The Hardware Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts
Re: What kind of hardware synth to buy

I'd also like to give a plug for the Waldorf Blofeld module. Talk about a beast! I recently purchased another one after trading my first one away a couple of years ago. The reason I bought another one is simple: ever since trading, I missed it in my set up.

$ for $, I don't know if there is a better value than the Blofeld. The sonic possibilities on that thing are incredible. It's got your basic subtractive synthesis, coupled with wavetable and some FM synthesis, and the modulation matrix is basically like having an entire modular system at your fingertips - it has 16 fully programmable modulators that can send and receive any parameter to any other parameter. The arp is powerful and intuitive, 3 OSC per voice, 25 voices, 16 part multi, 2 great filters, and 2 f/x tracks, all for like $700. It's also very easy to program thanks to the large screen, and even though it only has 7 knobs, it is a breeze to move through.

It's also small enough to put in a small backpack, and built like tank.

A few complaints: it only has MIDI in - no out or through. No audio in. It can be a bit buggy, but Waldorf has been supporting it since it's release, and the newest OS seems very stable.

Also, for an additional $99 you can unlock it's sampling bank, and then have space to load your own samples which can also be used as wavetables in OSC 1 or 2.

Anyhow, that's the Blofeld. And no, I don't work for Waldorf!

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote