IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - What part of the waveform do I start on?
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2018, 02:52 AM   #20
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360
Re: What part of the waveform do I start on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
It doesn't make sense that displaying a set of still images at a rate of 40ms per image will trick your brain into perceiving motion where there is none?

Well, given that and your lack of cognitive dissonance upon rebutting my lawnmower vs scissors analogy by acknowledging that you own a lawnmower; that doesn't surprise me...

Point is that most software compressors have a lookahead feature so that they can respond to threshold crossings in under 10ms. You claim that your brain is capable of responding to stimulus in less than half that time. Whether you "get it" or not one of these statements is true, the other is misguided.
Oh dear.

Please try this:

1. Open an audio editor, - like Soundforge for example.

2. Find a percussive sample that's cut very close to the start of the sample. Like a sharp woodblock sample for example.

3. Take a copy of that sample and make a 4 ms. fade-in at the very beginning (fading in from zero to full over the first 4 ms.).

4. Compare this modified version to the original sample (listen to them!).

The peak level will in most cases be noticeably lower in the modded sample, the attack will be softer - and the modified sample will still sound different from the original even if you compensate by raising the volume.

I realise this is probably not exactly how Ableton's auto-fade works, but it should at least convince you that a 4 ms. fade can indeed make an audible difference.

Or keep rambling about lawnmowers, cognitive dissonance and video resolution. Whichever you prefer.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote