IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - What part of the waveform do I start on?
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360
Re: What part of the waveform do I start on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
worry about zero crossings.

But working in a modern DAW? Nah! Total waste of time.

(Tools, Logic and Live that I know of at least) not such an issue as region fades are typically enabled by default. Sharp fader curve ensures sample regions always begin and end at zero.

In my experience using Live's built in "default fades" can make a big negative difference.

If the sample has been cut very precisely, the default fade-in will often be too long, resulting in changing/dimming the attack part of the sample. With percussive sounds, what that means is, that you loose valuable transients and get a more "muffled sound", - like a badly adjusted compressor.

The auto fades are basically a lazy "fix all" tool for people who want quick results without putting in the hard work of editing their samples manually. Or perhaps something to use if you run out of time.

In any case, your results will suffer from it. Which is why, in my opinion, it's always better to turn off auto fades and edit samples yourself, - to your own taste.

Putting in the extra detail work is after all what will make your beats and sound-creations stand out, - while using automated functions will just make you sound like everyone else using the same thing (literally generic).

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 18-01-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote