IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Intro's
Thread: Intro's
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts
Re: Intro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
^^^ Thanks for the breakdown. I guess I kind of get into the anatomy of composition because of my theory background. I'm kind of getting into the physical aspects of where to put things, it reminds me of composing a piece of sheet music- making sure everything kind of flows and is in sync. I struggle so much with the tech and choices you have with a DAW and samples. I do better in a limited environment. Having a structure to start off helps me not get distracted by so many possibilities. If that makes sense.

I have a track I am using as my inspiration. I'm kind of using the framework of when they bring things in but using my own parts, chord progressions and such to get started. I figure I can always go back after and add the creative personal touches after.

I have to keep myself in check or I'll never get anything done lol. So much to get sidetracked with.
No worries! I've been invovled in this kind of music as a DJ, musician and fan for a while. Using another track to just get a general sense of the structure is the best idea really. Just drop it right in your DAW, stretch it to the same tempo and you are good to go. I wouldn't worry at all about copying the structure of a commericial track, its all really same-y.

The gist of a DJ track in any genre is:

sparse intro - phrase A - breakdown with tension buildling elements that lead up to -- phrase B --sparse outro.

And yea. DAW's are super distracting. That is why I usually start my tracks on hardware. Another method to keep in mind is to come up with the most "dense" part of the track first (ie part with the most elements). I usually make this 64 bars that resolve in some way. Then everything else in the track can just be variations on that 64 bars.

When I was really keen on making DJ friendly dance tracks I always built the track from the middle out, so to speak. Thinking in bars helps a lot. Sections are usually 16, 32, or 64 bars. Also, a good tip I've heard and employ often is that something should change about every fifteen seconds. If you listen to dance tracks you'll notice both the 16/32/64 bar pattern and that it coincides with some kind of obvious change up about every fifteen seconds.

Despite what people want to say, functional dance music is based on tested formulas intended to make the party go off/interact with the effects of drugs (the E rush and whatnot). I don't even think of functional dance tracks as songs...but rather tracks/DJ tools etc. I'm not so sure its very popular these days, but a lot of my old house and techno records have B-sides filled with spares grooves that are intended for live remixing and things like that. This isn't music you are going to sit down and listen to like an LP (I mean, I guess people do that, but I think its boring as hell, it all sounds better as a DJ mix).

Last edited by relic; 12-04-2017 at 07:00 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote