IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - How do I arrange the tune?
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910
Re: "How Do I The Tune?"

Oh definitely.
I don't mean to sound like I'm a genre-ist or anything.
I would say that I am a formula driven writer, but I don't typically sit down and compose a piece by the agreement of it to some genre. Occasionally I do, but that is more how I deconstruct and study a given genre; by emulating it, and then bending it to find out how it becomes not that genre (or pushing it to the edge), but in this I am mostly attending to my impression of the genre I'm looking at as I'm not very good with identifications of genres beyond the most basic labels (I still haven't a clue, for example, on what makes any given subset of EDM that given genre over some other...I also haven't really put any effort into doing so - with EDM, I tend to study a given song or person/group rather a given genre).

Most of what I make I can't tell you what genre it should belong to because the ideas which drove their creation were phonic, philosophic, or physics driven ideas if they aren't me studying an artist or song.
For example, I once made a song based on my pondering of frequency modulation relationships in categorical difference between elements in astrophysics and how, to my mind, it seemed that all was the same thing essentially, but different scales and expansions of itself (For instance, take light and radio waves, ultimately we're talking about the same wave, just at different frequency oscillations. Or take for instance, the construction of the covalent bond radii, astrosphere radii, and the effective radii of quasars - if you gather up a large enough set of data, then you can find that there tends to be a shared proportion of relationship between their central energy source - atom, star, quasar - and their outer boundary; that is that that energy source is roughly around 0.0039% of the occupied radial space of the total radius size of the entire system which is generated by the existence of that energy source).

Music is fun to use as a thought experiment playground.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote