IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - How do I arrange the tune?
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910
Re: "How Do I The Tune?"

I think I agree with that philosophy; it's where I started.
Now It's morphed into "Music is a complex game with lots of specific rules as to what it is and isn't, and the name of the game is to bend as many rules as possible without changing the name."

e.g.
How far can you push <insert genre> music before it's no longer <insert genre> music?
If the genre says only 4/4, can we make it 3/4 inside of a 4/4? Can you take a triple note melody and shove it over 4/4 beat and still create functional framing for an EDM sound?
Can you create a musical turduckin? Can you shove Latin into Gypsy into House?
Can Punk Rock, Michael Jackson, EDM, and Bollywood get swirled into a musical milkshake?

These are examples of what I mean (and, yes, I've made each of these).

Other times it's more of How far can you represent <concept> musically before it's no longer <tonally cohesive>.
(I like to remember that in times of Ancient Greece, if a theory was of something that could not be physically grasped, it would often be required to be presented phonically in model to show the concepts before it would be considered a passable theory. Sometimes I like to approach music from this perspective rather than "I'm making a song".)

Last edited by TheStumps; 14-01-2017 at 11:38 PM..
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote