IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - A good VST for piano? (freeware or commercial)
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
music producer
Granular Poster
music producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond repute
Central Indiana, USA
MC Status: 2925
Re: A good VST for piano? (freeware or commercial)

There are a lot of really good virtual piano options out there. I use Ivory, typically the Steinway (German). Some guys swear by a particular one, but I've found that Ivory is pretty flexible. It may not be the best, but it's really quite nice, and like most of the high end ones, there are a boatload of parameters to tweak to your heart's desire. I'm still trying to get something that feels more natural (more like an acoustic grand) all the time.

It's important to me to have a piano that can sound legit classically, and the Ivory can do that. Part of the formula is in the mixing, of course. I also do quite a bit of mellower music. You can hear a couple samples of my piano sound here: Wedding Processional Songs. Songs #4 and #8 have some pretty exposed piano; 4 is more intimate while 8 has a little more room sound to it. But these are a few years old, and I think I could do better sound wise now.

Depending on what you'll be using the piano sound for, the keyboard feel may be a major part of the decision making. My Motif ES8 has served my pretty well with its weighted action....

------------------
music producer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote