IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Panning in Electronic Music
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
Re: Panning in Electronic Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
I've been reading The Mixing Engineers Handbook recently (great book by the way), and I've noticed I have a few misconceptions about panning.

I always assumed that panning was used more in "acoustic" music, because it lends itself better to the listening environment - no clubs, generally listened to on a home stereo, headphones, a car or whatever.
I also always thought that essentially when you panned an element, it would sit in one place more or less - but I'm realizing now that you can give a part some stereo width, then pan it off to one side a bit, maintaining the width but getting it out of the way of other parts (hope that made sense).

SO, my question for you guys is:

How do you use panning in your mixes?
Do you pan elements of the drums to either side? Melodic elements?

Obviously its a good idea to keep your sub bass in mono and dead center (I think...), but I feel like I could use panning to get better mixes, even if I do it in subtle ways. ie, pan clashing elements to different sides just slightly, and make the mix less crowded.
(obviously I'm going to try this out myself and see what kind of a result I get, but I'm curious as to what you guys use panning for)
Good book. One thing to listen to in terms of panning that have taught me allot is Afro beat music like fela kuti which is basically a mix of funk and aftican music with all sorts of percussion and TONS of instruments going on at once.

One thing I really noticed is that high frequency elements such as shakers, tambs, some percussion or high organ stabs can be panned more hard to the sides where as bass or lower instruments are generally in the centre. Also try to get a hold of remix stems of different artists and see how they are panning stuff, it really helps. Also note which tracks are really wide and which are more mono...
henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to henryspencer
statisticquill (25-03-2013)