IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Panning in Electronic Music
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510
Panning in Electronic Music

I've been reading The Mixing Engineers Handbook recently (great book by the way), and I've noticed I have a few misconceptions about panning.

I always assumed that panning was used more in "acoustic" music, because it lends itself better to the listening environment - no clubs, generally listened to on a home stereo, headphones, a car or whatever.
I also always thought that essentially when you panned an element, it would sit in one place more or less - but I'm realizing now that you can give a part some stereo width, then pan it off to one side a bit, maintaining the width but getting it out of the way of other parts (hope that made sense).

SO, my question for you guys is:

How do you use panning in your mixes?
Do you pan elements of the drums to either side? Melodic elements?

Obviously its a good idea to keep your sub bass in mono and dead center (I think...), but I feel like I could use panning to get better mixes, even if I do it in subtle ways. ie, pan clashing elements to different sides just slightly, and make the mix less crowded.
(obviously I'm going to try this out myself and see what kind of a result I get, but I'm curious as to what you guys use panning for)

Advertisements

statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote