IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Backups
Thread: Backups
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160
Re: Backups

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I appriciate the technical tl;dr stuff man, I will take a look. I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful lol. I guess because I've never experienced any significant data loss. I'm probably due for dissapointment. I'll have to whip out and format one of my old external drives and back everything up. Probably worth it. I do have a lot of synth patches in those projects, some of which might be worth saving. Also some samples I've collected myself.

I'm not super techincal and at the time I built my desktop...easily 7-8 years ago now...like I said everything I read said RAID1 was the way to go.

Thanks again.
I totally didn't take it as ungrateful. I've just been doing this long enough that I've seen plenty of eyes glaze over when you start in with stats and jargon, so I tend to keep that separate when I can. There's obviously different levels of comfort for people with regards to both the technology and wanting to keep data safe, and I don't want to promote a One True Way-ism here - there's as many solutions as there are people.

I'm mostly here just poking the hornet's nest to get people thinking and talking about data preservation, and to help anyone that wants it. I really didn't mean to come off as "you're doing it wrong!" or anything, because it sounds like you've got some protection and that's working for you. I'm probably being overly alarmist about the 'RAID isn't backup' thing, whether it is or not. It's definitely a sight better than nothing and offers quite a bit of protection for the average user.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (22-01-2017)