IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Backups
Thread: Backups
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33060
Re: Backups

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
How is it not a back up? I mean I guess if there is a power surge everything gets fried.

Must be RAID1. I'm 99% sure its not the other thing. Not too worried about corruption or infection (espically), I don't use the internet on my production tower except to do occasional updates or uploading finished tunes.
I'm going to belabor the technical stuff below for educational purposes and posterity. Feel free to skip it if it's not interesting. RAID1 is often advertised as a backup because it does perform like one in some situations, and a form of it is built onto most motherboards these days. OSs can also provide software RAID in a lot of situations. It's fine, it's better than nothing. I was really more freaking out on the RAID0 thing, because that's actually less reliable in a lot of situations than just using a hard drive.

Regardless, it sounds like you're pretty well set. As you say, most of your important stuff (the expensive bits) is available online or on disk.

**** TL;DR - RAID's not a backup, but it plays one on TV ****

So RAID's real function is uptime. It's made for enterprise environments where there's tons of people connected to central servers working really hard, and if they can't get on those servers to work it costs the company a lot of money. RAID's there so when a drive on the server dies all of accounting doesn't go home early while IT replaces that drive and rebuilds the data. Instead it just fails over to the next functional drive and Suzy and Bob down the hall don't even notice. IT can rebuild it at their leisure instead of it being a five-alarm fire situation.

A byproduct of that redundancy is that you can recover data in some situations. Like if you stick a new working drive in, the RAID array can just copy the old data onto the new one, provided everything's functional. Why it's not a backup is that it really only protects you from a drive failure, and only in the best of circumstances. It does nothing for corrupt files or viruses or all sorts of errors, nor does it really check the integrity of your data for you to make sure those things aren't happening. It also doesn't do much if the computer or power supply takes a header, as they're all connected to the same machine. It's ultimately not considered a backup because for every situation RAID recovers from there's about 10 situations it can't. Having a separate drive in a separate computer or enclosure, or backed up to an online service, is a much more reliable and functional solution.

*** END LONG BORING TECHNICAL SHIT ***
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (22-01-2017)