IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Backups
Thread: Backups
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #10
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910
Re: Backups

I've been using ssd's for 6 years, and I've had one die on me, but that was a 2011/12 install, the tech has improved. But they do die, and it does come on fast, which makes consistent backup important (seriously, with mine it was working fine one night, took a few tries to boot the next, would not boot the third, dead). One I got in mid 2012, an intel with a 5 year warranty, is the next oldest, and still going strong, I don't have the computer that was in anymore, the hard drive is with a friend now, we'll see if it lasts until the end of the year.

You could have a striped raid array that's still redundant if it's like raid 5 or something, but you'd have to have at least 4 or 5 hard drives for that to work. The thing I don't think gets mentioned enough about raid (and part of the reason I've never bothered), is if you make it out of all new hard drives of the same make and model at the same time, they're going to have the same MTBF (mean time before failure). So once one goes, you need to get right on it and replace all of them, which can be quite the outlay and I know I'd never do it, which would likely mean I'd end up losing my data anyways. Better for me to just back it up externally.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote