IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Ritualistic approach in Dark Ambient
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts
Re: Ritualistic approach in Dark Ambient

I think a lot of things about electronic music already feel ritualistic despite the intention of the musician. It isn't a stretch to focus in on those things and enhance that notion. Whether it is repetitive rhythms and phrase, drones, chants call and response, focus on percussion. The DJ as shaman (as lame as that might sound to some). The tribal nature of a rave. The rituals of a rave. For myself I straddle a line between believing the realness (for lack of a better term) of these observations and thinking of them as academic analogies.

I also have at times felt like electronic music--sequenced synth, sampler, drum machine music--is a medium through which I'm able to express some kind of pre-cognative, lizard brain stuff that just doesn't work in words (writer by trade). But about half the time I call bull shit on that.

I know I'm not strictly speaking about Dark Ambient here, but there you have it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote