IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198360
Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,954 Posts
Re: Do you get stuck on a song often and how many unfinished tracks do you have?

You should know by now, reading the replies from the guys here, that this has nothing to do with being new to music production..or even your personal levels of creative skill..it's just one of those pain-in-the-ass things all of us have to deal with..just like writers have to deal with writer's block..we have to deal with "staller" tracks..the ones that start out just fine, but then just seem to stop..not die or dry up..just stop..like the muse has fucked off some place else and left you high-and-dry starting at you DAW on screen.

I used to get caught up in this and worry it was a sign I was a crap producer or something..but I now understand it's just part of being a producer..something you need to adapt to in order to benefit from.

I suggest you keep all these tracks and come back to them from time to time and for various reasons. Obviously you can try and inject new life into any of them at any time, with the hope you will finish the track..but you can also use them to help you grow your production skills even more, using them as "test files" to work on, while going more in-depth into EQ, Compression, Reverb and everything else in between.

The reason for this is you already have something that is relatively solid and complex enough to give you an idea of how different settings are going to effect your "sound".

You can use them to come up with completely new tracks, by morphing / mixing various tracks together..or you can go back to basics and try messing with arrangements..sometimes all it takes is a new arrangement to kick a track back to life and move it on to the finished phase.

In short, don't dump them..never dump anything..rework them..use them to learn..or understand the fact they bother you is an indication you are growing as a producer, which is a good thing. It's a phase that passes, but one which comes around again.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Crude_beats (03-06-2016)