IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - when does changing vocal style from verse to chorus become too drastic?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #6
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Re: when does changing vocal style from verse to chorus become too drastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
Hmm...i hadnt considered vocal styles of other genres. Stuck myself in a box there, but yeah if it works for other music it could work for all music. Serj is all over the place on every song.
Dude, Serj If f'ing brilliant!!! Sorry off topic but I just can't get over how brilliant he is...

Umm yea, I would say go for it!. I think about hiphop and how juxtaposition of vocal style can be a good thing to keep a song moving. Almost like a way to capture people's attention again. And if it's the same signer/rapper and the same music underneath I think it will still mesh.

For example (very loose example - cuz im haven't heard your song so not sure what to compare it to.) There is a song by Tobacco that ive been listening to recently and the music completely changes when the hook comes in. The voice is still the vocoder bass thing he does, so it still sounds like the same artist. and same song. I will admit It's weird and jarring, but I appreciate that in a world where everything is so sterile.

Another thing ill say, Every great song from FlyLo to Serj and system of a down, to Tobacco, There is a tonal quality and a wiedrness element that separates them from the pack. In their cases there is something that intrigues a big group of people, but it has to be special. And so having something different is risky but necessary. (which is why I pass my synths through a distortion box and then master to 1/4 inch tape - takes mroe time but i want something different from the rest) Food for thought.

------------------
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote