IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like?
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 35010
Re: Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would l

Yeah, I disagree with pretty much all of that. I'm the only one writing or listening to my art, so I'm the only one that gets to judge it. I am enjoying my art; just because no one else is doesn't diminish that enjoyment for me.

Any statement of 'good' or 'bad' is entirely subjective. You don't get to define what I consider good and visa versa. Statements of 'popular' and 'commercially successful' are quantifiable, and if your definition of good is based those things then you can talk about those things. My definition of good doesn't have anything to do with those things. It's entirely based on subjective considerations and thus are only valid for me.

Quote:
Otherwise everyone could claim their art "good art" and be fine with it.
I hate to break it to you, but almost everyone who makes art thinks it's good. That's why they make it. And they're completely entitled to that opinion, even if they're the only one that thinks it.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (17-06-2017)