IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like?
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552630
Thanked 7,234 Times in 5,121 Posts
Re: Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would l

I don't see these two mindsets as binary or mutually exclusive. I think you can write a song that speaks a wide audience and still remains true to your creative vision. Especially with the internet its easy to reach a niche audience.

Having had a quick listen through some of your work on HearThis, I'm not sure what you are worried about anyway--I'd say that chill out stuff and IDM type stuff has a fairly wide audience. That is if you are asking about yourself personally and your music.

To continue using your work as an example--if someone making the kind of tunes you are making asked me if they should stop making that kind of music and start making mega festival Avvici style tunes, I'd say hell no--because at that point clearly their only motivation is to be liked. However, if that person asked me if they should try making some Hospital Records style liquid DnB to reach a wider audience I'd say go for it as it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for current fans to like a more pop dance tune nor would it be hard for new pop dance tune people to like that artist's other music.

But I always feel I'm bad at answering these types of questions because I honestly get almost 100% of my enjoyment out of the process rather than the final product and marketing it for accolades/money.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote