IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like?
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810
Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like?

Philosophy: Should you write music that you like or what you think others would like?

I tend to deviate to creating only my genuine ideas, because I find it uninteresting to try to subscribe to certain genre techniques. Rather I tend to write whatever comes. Whatever I think sounds interesting, regardless of what it is. Of course I'm influenced by others' music, but I never start writing music with a genre or something in my head. I merely try out stuff until I find something to work on.

This poses some problems though. How can you ever predict, whether your style will ever appeal to others. After all I think everyone desires to be liked, because it makes your music more "valid" or accepted. And some people believe that only music that appeals to people can be good music or good art. If the art never reaches the general population, then what is its worth?

Then again there have been artists such as Van Gogh who were not popular during their lifetime, but rather became admired after his death.

So should you listen to yourself and only yourself or should you listen to others as well?

Advertisements

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote