IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Constraints in music making to push creativity
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282984
Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,756 Posts
Re: Constraints in music making to push creativity

For a while now I've tried to engineer the right amount of constraints in the way I make music to allow me to focus in on some sort of style or sound or direction

It's been a long journey of 'i want constraints but not that much'

What I actually want is ableton and some ideas. I guess that's what you're getting at kind of.

Or I want the electribe I got at 18 but where it actually sounds good.

The effect you're talking about will inly last so long. Then after a while you open up a computer and the freedom and speed of it will have you cranking out all sorts of great tunes too. For me its always been about moving at the right time, even if its just changing how you use your existing equipment after doing it a certain way for a while.

It's actually, weirdly, exactly the same for me when I used to play call of duty. I used get a certain gun or gun combo and fucking kill everything that moved for a certain period of time. After a while i would be less effective with it. At that point I can basically choose any other gun and suddenly im loving the shit out of a gun I never really liked before. Nobody else played like that that I knew but to be fair I used to just run around not caring and had more fun

A really sad story there

The moral is be inspired and have great ideas and none of it really matters that much just keep moving or more accurately dont stay in the same place too long... If there's a difference. It's also why when I did the hip hop thing id pretty mich always alternate between sample based projects and synth projects it was great.

Somebody give me some ideas. Cheers

P.s. I made an album in like two weeks once it was actually decent

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Daggit (18-10-2017)