IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - "Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 01:12 AM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts
Re: "defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

I'll also add that FX units like the OTO Biscuit and Korg Kaoss Pad 3 really made me rethink what an FX unit can be. Sure you can draw linear and curved automation. You can use "random" LFOs to control FX parameters. But both of those units really taught me about that Dub Reggae technique of playing an FX unit like an instrument.

Don't get me wrong, computers are fantastic. My music wouldn't be what it is w/o a modern DAW. But musicians have never lived in a better time to take advantage of the best of both worlds. Cheap and usable real-world instruments combined with even cheaper and options heavy digital tools mean literally anyone with some spare change can get into a hybrid setup.

I'm done having the argument about hardware versus software with people--clearly the budget route is going all software and is a fine option. And while I respect people who want to use all hardware (sometimes I do it myself just for fun and immediacy), I simply can no longer support an argument that all hardware or even all analog is the only way to make music--that seems archaic for the sake of it and dare I say sometimes even an excuse for a sub-par product.

back on topic...
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
RFJ (11-03-2015)