IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Audiophiles
Thread: Audiophiles
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts
Audiophiles

As I was gear hunting and following threads, I started wondering about an experience I had a while back when looking for headphones. I came across some audiophile sites. You will find some fine hair splitting about the more subtle intricacies of digital encoding all down to the importance of the oxygen content in copper cables. With precise impedance measurements, should you desire to go down to that level of detail. And, if you follow the finely laid out arguments, you should most definitely want to as it is so vital for the sophisticated enjoyment of unadulterated finely crafted music.

I ran the test myself and sought to find out if I can tell the difference between a FLAC lossless codec using a headphone amp with a better DAC vs an MP3 file on my iPhone using good IEMs. I can't .

Clearly my hearing is poor.

I wondered about the production side of things. No one in their right mind would buy $300 oxygen free cables for an analog signal path because it "ruins" the sound. Or would anyone?

up to a point you do get a noticeable improvement in sound quality, and it's hard to precisely say where tinfoil hat territory starts, but it certainly exists. The realm of no discernible practical relevance.

I'm getting the impression that pretty much anything that gives a clean sound with a low noise floor is good enough for most on the producing end (is it?). So, what then do you make of those audiophiles?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote