IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Universal audio
Thread: Universal audio
View Single Post
Old 27-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501
Re: Universal audio

My problem with UAD is when i buy premium hardware i like to think in 20 years time i can still use it but thats not the case with UAD.

I started with UAD over 10 years ago, i bought 3 x UAD-1 cards and plenty of plugins which i thought was great.

Then one day Universal audio announced they would no longer support then UAD-1.

So i had 1200 worth of cards that overnight lost value and within a short period of time became useless.

I actually ended up giving my 3 cards away to friends, then i went out and bought a UAD-2 Quad for 1200 just so i could run the plugins i already had, no gain just a wallet emptier.

One day my UAD-2 stopped working, so all my projects grinded to a hault, it was then i realised how much i had started depending on this system.

Anyway UA replaced my broken card with a new one, however that won't happen again as now my warranty has run out.

So now i have decided to keep using my UAD-2 and plugins for as long as possible but not to buy any new plugins, then the day they announce UAD-3 and give up support for UAD-2 i'll just wash my hands of UA and put it all down to a bad learning curve.

Don't get me wrong the plugins are great but i don't like the idea of how much money you can put into it for UA to just pull the plug when they feel like it.

I know you are asking about Apollo but its the same thing, sometime in the future you'll have this expensive sound card that works perfectly well but you won't be able to use it because UA will of given up support.

So as long as your prepared for that, then yes they are superb sound cards and plugins.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote