IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Strange scales and tunings, how?
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910
Re: Strange scales and tunings, how?

A scale is a set of non repeating sequential notes which are at option for the song; a group of tones you select to play with.

Most commonly, they are in sets of 5 or 7, sometimes more if you feel special.

Pick a note, any note, and then start going from that note upward in note pitch until you have one of each letter in your sequence, keeping in mind that a black key (# or b) counts as one letter equal to either the white key to its right or left. When two white keys haven't a black key between them, you may rename one of the white keys as the one to its left (b) or to its right (#) as long as you then use the next black key either left or right as the letter you removed.
For example, I can call B an Eb so long as I rename A# to Bb.
The goal is to go from, say, A to G with each letter represented only once by the time I get back to A (or whatever note you started on).

Don't worry about scale names, et. al.
That will come in time; just pick a finite set of notes and go.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote