IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Harmony and melody
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #14
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910
Re: Harmony and melody

I'm more in line with Muse-ic in thought; that both influence each other and you often bounce back and forth.
On the other hand, if I have a tune pop into my head, it's likely a phrase of a melody and then I go plop that melody down, then find the backing for it, and then I circle back to the melody to see if any adjustments in the melody would benefit the movement of the backing so that the backing isn't just plotting along without dynamics.

One of the faults to watch out for in starting with a melody and then circling everything around that melody is a harmony and backing that is bland because it's only computationally present to support the melody like scaffolding. So if you do start with the melody, make sure to double-check the harmony and backing afterwards without the melody on to ensure that you don't end up with a bland background/accompaniment.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote